What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading an iBook on the iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Short demo of what it will be like reading a book on the iPad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnYZpTwpKo]YouTube - Apple - iPad - How to read a book on a iPad - 2010[/ame]

mikerm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh that's funny. I just downloaded Firefox on this machine, and I don't have the flash plugin installed yet.

I don't know though, reading on an active screen tires my eyes, that's the advantage of eInk.

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about the screen as well. I wonder how well it looks in the sunlight?

living2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing holding me back from getting an iPad over the Kindle DX is the back lit screen. I just don't know if my eyes can handle the strain.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read lots of electronic books on Windows Mobile and Palm devices with active LCD screens back in the days when PDAs were still a viable market. Never had a problem with eye-strain. My biggest complaint was the size of the screen. I don't anticipate any problems with reading on this device, but, I'm older now, so I guess I'll find out the hard way if it's an issue for me.

living2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried out my friends iphone and was reading a book he had on there. I adjusted the brightness and it won't be a problem. Bring on the iPad!!!

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just like the book reader on the iPhone, I think you will be able to adjust the brightness and have the options of a night mode. I read books on my iPhone all the time and I can't wait to actually have some screen real estate so that I can see a whole page all at once :ipad-case:

Garbageman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that the whole idea of iBook is to make money, but I was swayed from the Kindle and Nook to Sony because they did not allow for free downloads from my public library. Lets be honest even at 9.99 a book if you read several books a week its an option that is nice. As for the screen and LCD display, I'd have to look at it before making a decision. With time you can used to pretty much anything.

living2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this that we will be able to adjust the brightness and have night mode?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if it is like the iPod you can adjust the brightness from the system preferances (or whatever they call it). I've used it for latenight and very early morning reading. There is also the white on black color invertersion. It's how I check sites like this while my eyes don't want to really be awake.

I don't know if you iBook will have acess to those controls from inside that App. Would be a nice feature to suggest if it's there to start with.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Click and Drag your Mouse to read whats missing ....

Even if an app doesn't support brightness or contrast changes that contains text on the iPad, the accessibility options screen in Preferences will allow for inverted video for those who need or desire that kind of contrast or white to black ratio on the screen.

:ipad-case:I use it and have it set to triple click the home button for accessibility mode to show the inverted video.. and can then be turned on or off without actually leaving the app. So it's pretty sweet, even for some apps without text, just to be able to see an inverted image of the same app.:ipad-case:

Hint: if a photo is taken while in this mode.. the photo is still in original color, its just that your viewing inverted video mode and as soon as you return to normal viewing you will see that the camera did capture all of the color with the photo data.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always wondered about the eye strain thing. People (me included) stare into computer screens all day, and have done for years. I've never seen or heard of any major eye strain issue amongst computer users in that time.

Reading a book on an iPod Touch seems easy enough on the eyes. I suspect the eye strain issue probably has more to do with hype than anything else. Let's face it, how long does the average person actually spend reading a book at any one time (even at university I couldn't handle hitting the books for longer than an hour at any one time - and usually much less - and if most students are being honest that's probably true for a good 90% of them - and especially on something like an iPad that will be filled with distractions).

Also, how many books does the average person read a year? Apparently in the US it's 4 amongst the 75% that read any at all.

I'm not sure an activity that takes up so little time justifies a dedicated screen for most people so the use of an iPhone-like screen makes sense.

My issue with the books is the interface and the price. I can't understand how anyone can justify $10 or more for a book when there is no printing or distribution involved. Just seems greedy. And I wish programmers would stop with the 'page turning' effects. I personally find it irritating and it slows everything down (the worst is when they add the sound effect)

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I wish programmers would stop with the 'page turning' effects. I personally find it irritating and it slows everything down (the worst is when they add the sound effect)

Awe man I love that, it makes it all the more like a real book. :)

My 3GS has the Classics app installed and its almost identical to the new iBookStore, it has no issues at all with the animations. :(

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mean slowing down the app. It's more to do with slowing down the user experience.

With a text heavy publication like a novel it's not really an issue (I guess I just find having an animation a bit gimmicky), but with something with more pictures that lends itself to being flicked through (like a school text book, or a magazine) I, and over 90% of people we tested found that it gets in the way.

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't confirm that, but since their other devices have it and since they are actually pushing the book reader aspect of this device it only makes sense :ipad-case:

Most reactions