What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibook aftermarket? Can I buy and sell my ibooks?

asexymind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a reading freak. I read just like a mouse eats crackers.

I buy books, read them, then sell them, then use those proceeds to buy more books. That way, I can get new books when they come out, but not clutter my library or tie up my capital in them.

So, I want to do the same with my ibooks. I want to buy them, read them, and sell them.

I can't find an ibook aftermarket. Can you buy used ibooks? Corrolary, can you sell them? Is there a medium that is currently already doing this? Or do I need to create one?

Thanks!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no degradation of use therefore there is no aftermarket.

That's like selling used mp3s.

Sorry.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you buy used ibooks? Corrolary, can you sell them?
I am pretty sure the answer is no. According to the FAQ on the Apple website, you can not "gift" iBooks so even if you legitimately wanted to buy a book for someone else, this is not allowed. Sorry. I feel your pain.

bow40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so much for the trading of books with friends and family. leave them my ipad for a week? yeah right

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When buying an ebook it's like you're renting it instead. You don't own an ebook like you do the paper a book is printed on. Although in both cases you don't own the content...

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so much for the trading of books with friends and family. leave them my ipad for a week? yeah right

Yea it is like a real book, you have to hand them the physical book. If there was a mechanism to transfer the license insuring that you could not keep reading the book after the transfer then maybe. It's the same for all ebook readers I am aware of.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't the kindle app let you lend books...I think the kindle device does.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Amazon's website:

Restrictions. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to, bypass, modify, defeat or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But through all this there's an alternative. You can get library ebooks in certain places but I can't comment on this because I've never tried.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't the kindle app let you lend books...I think the kindle device does.

Nope. Or should I say NOPE!

My wife daughter, sister-in-law and I all have kindles on separate accounts. You cannot share books purchased through the Kindle store. You can have devices on the same account and they can all have the same book, but you cannot sell or lend books to others.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But through all this there's an alternative. You can get library ebooks in certain places but I can't comment on this because I've never tried.
All of the library systems I know of use Adobe Digital Editions for lending out their ePubs and that is a Flash-based system so it will not work on an iPod, iPad or iPhone.

However... some say that it is possible to "unwrap" the ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) from these books which will leave them as plain old ePubs that just about any reader can read, including iBooks.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the library systems I know of use Adobe Digital Editions for lending out their ePubs and that is a Flash-based system so it will not work on an iPod, iPad or iPhone.

However... some say that it is possible to "unwrap" the ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) from these books which will leave them as plain old ePubs that just about any reader can read, including iBooks.

Thanks for the info on the format used.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yup. I got mine from our local library. Free. Very cool. But I can't recall how I did it as it was on my Nook. Which I sold on CL for $150 when I got my iPad.:D

Most reactions