What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Skype

Broadwinged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad 2 16GB for 2 weeks now. Wonderful machine.

So far so good. Struggled a little with Google calendar sync, a little more with IMAP protocols through Media Temple and my work domain (Gmail is a breeze).

Question:
Added the Skype app, which is disappointing visually but it is the chat system we use at work.

But it is annoying that I can't stop it from always running in the background. Am I missing something obvious to shut it off?

Other stuff:
The one thing I have learned so far is that I cannot run IMAP email accounts at the same time on my iMac and my iPad. That's not really a problem in the real world - where I use one or the other - but it was a problem setting up until I realized they just didn't want to share nicely.

Reaction score
There are two ways to end Skype

1)In the Skype app, click on My Info and than on Sign Out
2)Close the Skype app, by pressing the home button twice, the Multitaskbar opens, than press onto the Skype button until it starts wiggling and finally press on the red circle. Skype is now completely closed.

Personally, I would just use the first option. It's pretty straight forward ;)

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
To turn off apps running in the background -
Goto the home page then double click the home button on the bottom of the iPad. This brings up the list of app icons that are still running in the background.
Press and hold any of those icons until they start to wiggle.
When wiggling, press the red minus symbol ob the icon to shut it down completely. It won't delete it, but just shut it down.

OP
Broadwinged

Broadwinged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow Fast, concise answers and I got a two'fer.

Didn't know about that double click thing...oh too cool...

I love this board! Used it before the iPad even arrived to buy it's nice covers and prepare myself for the apps and stuff I wanted.

Thanks both of you!:D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Other stuff:
The one thing I have learned so far is that I cannot run IMAP email accounts at the same time on my iMac and my iPad. That's not really a problem in the real world - where I use one or the other - but it was a problem setting up until I realized they just didn't want to share nicely.

An IMAP account should not have any problems with multiple computers or devices using it at the same time. I do this all day long without problems, switching back and forth between the desktop and iPad. I'm usually using my MobileMe account, but GMail hasn't given me any problems either.

It does occasionally take a few seconds (up to a minute) for the other device to catch up to changes, and of course the iPad won't catch up until I start the Mail app. I can force it to be quicker by hitting the refresh icon on the bottom, sometimes.

That said, some servers/providers/servers only allow one device to be connected at a time. You might contact your provider and find out if this is the case.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
twerppoet said:
An IMAP account should not have any problems with multiple computers or devices using it at the same time. I do this all day long without problems, switching back and forth between the desktop and iPad. I'm usually using my MobileMe account, but GMail hasn't given me any problems either.

It does occasionally take a few seconds (up to a minute) for the other device to catch up to changes, and of course the iPad won't catch up until I start the Mail app. I can force it to be quicker by hitting the refresh icon on the bottom, sometimes.

That said, some servers/providers/servers only allow one device to be connected at a time. You might contact your provider and find out if this is the case.

agreed, my MacBook pro, iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 3 and 4 all connect via imap at the same time with no issues

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Now this was just too funny SweetPoison :D

I'd hazard a guess that you use you iPad horizontally? instead of poking at a vertical iPad lol

Most reactions

Latest posts