What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions About Remote Desktop Apps

Fibonacci11235

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought my iPad 2 and am new to the forums. I'm aiming to use my iPad along with an iMac, so that I can have a more powerful desktop while still having the ultra-portability of an iPad.

But, I also want the functionality of a desktop, including programs like the Microsoft Office suite and others.

So, using these forums and other Internet sources, I began investigating Remote Desktop Apps and I have a few questions if anyone wants to take pity on the newbie and answer them :)

#1, although this may be kind of a retarded question, I'm not sure exactly how these apps work. Do they require the desktop computer that is being accessed to be on and awake? Is on and in sleep mode enough? (I assume they have to be at least on)

#2, it seems like Splashtop is the favorite program of a lot of people here, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the major programs and why you prefer a certain one (be it functionality, cost etc.)

#3, is Internet remote desktop access (outside of a local network) now available for Macs, or does it have to go through "port forwarding" still. (By the way, I have no idea what that term means)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought my iPad 2 and am new to the forums. I'm aiming to use my iPad along with an iMac, so that I can have a more powerful desktop while still having the ultra-portability of an iPad.

But, I also want the functionality of a desktop, including programs like the Microsoft Office suite and others.

So, using these forums and other Internet sources, I began investigating Remote Desktop Apps and I have a few questions if anyone wants to take pity on the newbie and answer them :)

#1, although this may be kind of a retarded question, I'm not sure exactly how these apps work. Do they require the desktop computer that is being accessed to be on and awake? Is on and in sleep mode enough? (I assume they have to be at least on)

#2, it seems like Splashtop is the favorite program of a lot of people here, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the major programs and why you prefer a certain one (be it functionality, cost etc.)

#3, is Internet remote desktop access (outside of a local network) now available for Macs, or does it have to go through "port forwarding" still. (By the way, I have no idea what that term means)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

(1) The computers do need to be on, but some have a 'wake up' capability that will wake them from sleep mode. The remote desktop setup has two parts - an app that runs on the iPad and another app that runs on the PC or Mac. When you run the remote desktop program those two apps 'talk' to each other and the iPad shows an exact copy of what's on the PC screen. You have facilities on the remote desktop program to control the mouse the and mouse button(s).

(2) I have Splashtop to a PC. I chose it because it's very simple to operate. Also, there's a limited viewing time version that's available for free, so it's easy to try out at no risk.

(3) The latest revision/update to Splashtop now supports remote access to Macs. Previously Macs were only supported on a local network. Now you can access from anywhere. There's no port forwarding or anything like that. You simply tell both the iPad app and the PC/Mac app your Gmail address (so you need to set one up if you don't have one) and almost magically it finds you without any complicated configuration. Works like a dream.

Highly recommended. I've accessed my PC at home from all over the world, no problem. The only potential issue is that you need to make sure that, if you have automatic updates set up for a PC (I know you have a Mac but I thought I'd make this point for anyone else reading) then, if the PC automatically restarts after an update it mustn't get 'stuck' at a login screen if you're away from home, it needs to be able to reboot right to the normal Windows desktop, otherwise the app running in the PC won't be operational and you'll not be able to move forward from there while you're away.

Tim

PS I like your screen name but, surely, the sequence after the name is not a Fibonacci sequence??

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
(1) The computers do need to be on, but some have a 'wake up' capability that will wake them from sleep mode. The remote desktop setup has two parts - an app that runs on the iPad and another app that runs on the PC or Mac. When you run the remote desktop program those two apps 'talk' to each other and the iPad shows an exact copy of what's on the PC screen. You have facilities on the remote desktop program to control the mouse the and mouse button(s).

(2) I have Splashtop to a PC. I chose it because it's very simple to operate. Also, there's a limited viewing time version that's available for free, so it's easy to try out at no risk.

(3) The latest revision/update to Splashtop now supports remote access to Macs. Previously Macs were only supported on a local network. Now you can access from anywhere. There's no port forwarding or anything like that. You simply tell both the iPad app and the PC/Mac app your Gmail address (so you need to set one up if you don't have one) and almost magically it finds you without any complicated configuration. Works like a dream.

Highly recommended. I've accessed my PC at home from all over the world, no problem. The only potential issue is that you need to make sure that, if you have automatic updates set up for a PC (I know you have a Mac but I thought I'd make this point for anyone else reading) then, if the PC automatically restarts after an update it mustn't get 'stuck' at a login screen if you're away from home, it needs to be able to reboot right to the normal Windows desktop, otherwise the app running in the PC won't be operational and you'll not be able to move forward from there while you're away.

Tim

PS I like your screen name but, surely, the sequence after the name is not a Fibonacci sequence??

I tried to download splashtop streamer in my laptop it not downloading.... I already downloaded splashtop remote desktop in my iPad... Please help..

OP
Fibonacci11235

Fibonacci11235

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Cool! Thanks so much, Tim :) Good to know, especially that login screen tip.

Just another question about #1...even though the desktop must be awake when being remotely accessed, can the screen be "off"? (like through the exposé function where you can move to a corner and it'll turn off the screen even though the computer is awake.)

Or will the program automatically turn the screen on? I ask because I will be using this in college, so if I'm using my iPad away from my computer, it'd be preferable if it didn't display what I was using it for.

Andddd, finally, yeah, those are the first few number of the Fibonacci sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 etc. (the rule being add consecutive numbers to get the next number)

Bertdogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for Splashtop also. You can leave the screen off if you want. As long as the PC is running, the program will work just fine. I find it pretty cool that you can get sound on your ipad as well using Splashtop.

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ref Tim above, how do you stop the computer from stopping at the login screen on windows ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Cool! Thanks so much, Tim :) Good to know, especially that login screen tip.

Just another question about #1...even though the desktop must be awake when being remotely accessed, can the screen be "off"? (like through the exposé function where you can move to a corner and it'll turn off the screen even though the computer is awake.)

Or will the program automatically turn the screen on? I ask because I will be using this in college, so if I'm using my iPad away from my computer, it'd be preferable if it didn't display what I was using it for.

Andddd, finally, yeah, those are the first few number of the Fibonacci sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 etc. (the rule being add consecutive numbers to get the next number)

Not sure about the Mac - on Windows 7 you can 'lock' the screen so that - when you're remotely accessing - another user can't see what you're doing - perhaps there's confidential business information involved, for example.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ref Tim above, how do you stop the computer from stopping at the login screen on windows ?

You have to suspend or remove all the other accounts that are on the PC or remove the need to login using a password in the Windows Control Panel.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

I tried to download splashtop streamer in my laptop it not downloading.... I already downloaded splashtop remote desktop in my iPad... Please help..

What type of computer do you have? Is it a Mac or PC? When you say it is not downloading, what is the response when you right-click on the link and choose the option to save the file (assuming it's a PC)?

Tim

OP
Fibonacci11235

Fibonacci11235

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about the Mac - on Windows 7 you can 'lock' the screen so that - when you're remotely accessing - another user can't see what you're doing - perhaps there's confidential business information involved, for example.

Tim

Ahh cool, I'll check that out :) Thanks for all the help. Lol, it's like you know everything...

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last night when using spalshtop and pc was booted to main login screen....I was actually able to still use spalshtop and login to vista....hmmmm. Can anyone else confirm this???

marnoldi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i use teamviewer & Splashtop - both do a great job & are free

Most reactions

Latest posts