What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes Match question

Dshow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was reading about the Itunes Match service where you can store all your music in the cloud. I have lots of CDs so it's nice that if it see's that title is already in the cloud, you don't have to rip/upload that CD... My question is if I sign up for 1 year and the second year I decide not to re-enlist, before my subscription expires, can I download all my music in digital form so I don't ever have to rip them?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'll have to rip those CD's into iTunes on your computer before you'll be able to Match them in the cloud. Match works with your iTunes library. If you have the hard drive space you can rip them at an equal or higher quality than you'll get on iCloud Match (though that's pretty good quality already). If you ever stop paying for Match, you'll still have your copies in iTunes.

Regardless of what you may or may not be able to do with the Match tracks later, you should keep those iTunes tracks as your ultimate backup. Well, the CDs too. You only have rights to that music as long as you still own the CDs.

OP
D

Dshow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping Itune match could look at the title of the actual CD and enable me to not rip it in the first place... Without that, this service doesn't buy me much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Be pretty hard to even pretend you were preventing piracy if all a person had to do was provide a CD title to get the music.

OP
D

Dshow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not saying just provide a title, I'm saying put the disk in the drive and it would read whatever it needs to verify you have the disk... eg the first 5 seconds of the song, etc as long as it keeps you from having to rip the whole thing.

Just a thought that would make my life easier. I have multiple stacks of CDs and I never can find the time to sit down and rip them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dshow said:
Just a thought that would make my life easier. I have multiple stacks of CDs and I never can find the time to sit down and rip them.

There is that. All I can suggest it to stick some by the computer; whenever you wander by, or leave it to do something else, start one ripping. You'll get them all done eventualy.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
12th of November for USA

Apple has informed developers that as the company prepares for the launch of iTunes Match, they will be deleting all current iCloud libraries on Saturday, November 12th at 10 AM PST, according to multiple trusted sources.
Apple told developers via email, “Please turn off iTunes Match on all of your computers and iOS devices. On your computer, choose Store > Turn off iTunes Match. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Music, then turn off iTunes Match. On your Apple TV, please choose Music > Turn off iTunes Match,” the sources told MacDailyNews.
iTunes Match is built into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes for US$24.99 a year.
Here’s how iTunes Match works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are 20+ million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is anything that iTunes can’t match (much faster than starting from scratch). Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices and all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions