What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing Applecare for the iPad

Will you purchase Applecare for the iPad?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 31.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 44.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 54 24.3%

• Total voters

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with SquareTrade 3yr for my 3G 64gb iPad. AppleCare wasn't an option since they don't sell it in Florida. ST says it will cover the same things as AppleCare, plus accidental damage and spills. I didn't care much about the ADH as I'm careful with electronics, but with the iPad being a new product I was worried about hardware problems past the first year. With 30% coupon and tax the total came to about $127... $42 a year for insurance on a $830 device isn't bad.

As a side note I read a forum post where somebody dropped their iPad 3G and the screen cracked. Apple charged them about $330 for repairs.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a side note I read a forum post where somebody dropped their iPad 3G and the screen cracked. Apple charged them about $330 for repairs.

I read similar tale on a car forum. Someone's wife had put here iPad behind the driver's seat; when he got in and moved the seat back -crunch! AMEX replaced it for them.

I've also got an electronics rider on my home insurance. I once dropped a month-old laptop and cracked the display. Sony wanted as much to replace the display as I'd paid for the darn thing. The insurance company couldn't believe it, but they paid up after confirming with Sony that it was totaled.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting a source in about one or two weeks, where I can get Apple Care for a good discount. I expect it to be around $75. If interested, I can share the link.

Just send an email to "kheldour[at]mac.com"

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I read similar tale on a car forum. Someone's wife had put here iPad behind the driver's seat; when he got in and moved the seat back -crunch! AMEX replaced it for them.
Wow, I'm surprised Amex covered them. I thought Amex was only supposed to cover the same things covered by the original warranty, but for one year past the original warranty expiration... AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

Solitar6y

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know and have access to a Best Buy retailer, they actually offer what I believe to be a better insurance policy than AppleCare. I don't know the specifics on AppleCare's policy, but some members have mentioned that it doesn't replace accidental damage.

The BB policy is $129 (regardless of model) for one year beginning on date of purchase. It is from BB, and covers EVERYTHING aside from theft/loss. If your iPad is broken, you can bring it to any BB and they will either fix, but more often than not, replace for hardware/broken screens, etc. It can be added on within 14 days of iPad purchase, or even returned in full.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised Amex covered them. I thought Amex was only supposed to cover the same things covered by the original warranty, but for one year past the original warranty expiration... AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

No, AMEX also covers the item if it is damaged or stolen, in addition to extending the manufacturer's warranty.

Last edited:

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that I purchase these extended warranties for are mission critical servers. It is a big money maker for the people who sell them though as the claims percentage is usually around 15%. When I purchase something at Best Buy they always try to push the extended warranty at you. My response is why do I need that? Is there something wrong with the merchandise that I should know about? If my purchase is going to require an extended warranty then maybe I shouldn't buy it at all.

i mean keep in mind mate that this is a service they are selling to you to make money. Thats how you got your ipad. this service is there for people that want the peace of mind knowing that if anything bad happens they are covered, there are alot of people that worry alot and this 100 dollars holds true value in their eyees.

That said I personally wouldn't buy it because i trust myself enough to know that if it breaks, i was being an idiot with it anyways lol.

Roundplay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gomuvn.com
I always get AppleCare on laptops and cinema displays. Never on desktops. Will wait till near end of iPad warranty and see if people are having lots of issues or not. It seemed relatively expensive.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I purchased my iPad I also purchased Applecare for it. My shipping order showed I had paid for it & even said it would ship in 24 hrs. I've received nothing from Apple regarding the Applecare. How do I know I have it?

Thanks
CM

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AAP (apple care ) is automatic registration if you purchase on line from the Apple store. This will be reflected in your invoice from Apple so I would wait until you receive it. You can go to Apple support and enter the serial number to verify that you have it The only time it is not automatic is when you purchase the retail box copy of Apple care in that case you must register Applecare your self

Cheers Colin in Aus

Most reactions

Latest posts