What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposing a newbies sticky...

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Just having fun making that list... Here is my ideal newbies sticky for the forum. Enjoy and hop in!

Is Flash supported? No...
Alternatives to flash? ISwifter, Ipuffin, Splashtop... A PC....
Should I get an iPad? Yes!
Should I use screen protectors? Yes, if you feel like it.
Is iOS better than android? Yes, and no... Try them both and you'll decide
Any support for USB device? No.
Any support for external storage? No beside via wifi...
Should I jailbreak? No if you don't know why...
Should I wait for the iPad 3 (or next version)? Why wait having fun...
Any support for Swype? No...
Any way to play AVI/Mkv/divx? Yes, OPlayer HD Lite... Or search the app store
Can I tether my iPad to my iPhone? Yes, with hotspot on iPhone 4 and Bluetooth on 3GS...
Should I get a 3G instead of wifi only? Do you plan to take your iPad on the road where there is no wifi?
Should I get the 64gigs or the 16 gigs? Are you planning to put a lot of movies on your device?
Where can I get more information? Press the search button...
Is a flash thread like a supernova? Yes! It seems like the keyword flash is attracting all of the surrounding posts into a giant thread so that it could collapse into itself and eventually explode around the universe.
Is the iPad a PC/laptop replacement? No!
The iPad sucks! Why are you happy about it? Because we got it for what it can do...
Are you an Apple fan? Yes, cause they got me with their good products, not because they told me so...
Is flash supported? Hmmm... No?
How can I rip a DVD into the iPad? Look for Handbrake... Or google around...
Is flash supported? Arrrgh! Yes, yes and yes! Get the "Xoom" version of the iPad!

I really have to stop those little pills... :)

Did I missed something in this list?

VicoPad addict!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea, but nobody would read it.

Just like nobody reads the rules......

And there is a member introduction thread.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
Just one minute please. I introduced myself. Read the rules after breaking one.

I would like added to your list, definitions: What is swkype? still don't know what half the lingo is. Or a list of what the apps are for when someone suggests one for example, I've seen Pandora mentioned a number of times. Why use Pandora? and what is it? a game? a photo app? a reading program??

We definitely need a newbie section cause most newbies won't ask the dumb questions, and yes, I'm blonde.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dee Ashley said:

I would like added to your list, definitions: What is swkype? still don't know what half the lingo is. Or a list of what the apps are for when someone suggests one for example, I've seen Pandora mentioned a number of times. Why use Pandora? and what is it? a game? a photo app? a reading program??

We definitely need a newbie section cause most newbies won't ask the dumb questions, and yes, I'm blonde.

Do you mean skype? It is a VoIP app. Free calls to other skype compatible devices.
And pandora is like grooveshark, but more limited. Type in a name of a band or song, and it plays other songs similar to it. Like genius.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
graywolf said:
Do you mean skype? It is a VoIP app. Free calls to other skype compatible devices.
And pandora is like grooveshark, but more limited. Type in a name of a band or song, and it plays other songs similar to it. Like genius.

She really meant Swype, as it is a different keyboard input.

VicoPad addict!

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Dee Ashley said:

The problem is not being a newbie, as everybody started as one. But basically, humans are lazy by nature. It's far more easier to ask a question than looking (searching) for the answer. And this is the same for all forums, not just the iPad related. I've been reading and participating in several communities over the years, and it's always the same...

As for definitions, would be cool but thinking about it, the definition is already available in the app store for apps. As for other black magic voodoo words, it could be a good idea...

VicoPad addict!

Reaction score

Swype is a keyboard on non Apple devices that uses sliding instead of typing.
Though my title says Ipad master that is only because I posted enough for someone to give me the title. In truth I am a newb as well and am going to start posting in the app section any apps I have found that I enjoy and hope others do as well. I put 2 in there this evening. I hope others will also do app reviews because about 90% of the apps I've got are from this forum and I'd like to pay it forward

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad a PC/laptop replacement? No!

Depends on if there is a suitable app that you can use on the road though. For me, the iPad is a suitable laptop replacement. I don't need to edit my word documents as I write. I can do it later. So for me, I'm good to go, and my laptop never had any of the apps that my iPad had-I find my iPad more versatile really. So I would revise the answer to say: Depends. Remember: There's an APP for oh so many things, eh?:D

Most reactions

Latest posts