What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Program to improve the Camara?

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's possible to take a sequence of video stills and produce a high-resolution image from them. I would like and app that does this for my iPad 2. The back camara is designed for taking youtube videos, but I mostly need still photos. I need higher resolution, and some image processing that improves the color balance and crispness of the images. (For example, I use OCR a lot, it works well if the resolution is high enough, I also use still images to catalog my knitting projects)

Are there any iphone apps (or ipod touch apps) that use this kind of technology to improve the quality of stills?

I hope such an app designed for the iPad comes out soon! Maybe me and some of my friends should try writing it! (though I was hoping to do something less challenging for my first app...)

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes you can, but it requires multiple stills. If you are photographing something that doesn't move you can use the data from several bad images to make a slightly better one. I worked on developing this kind of technology in college though I don't know where the industry is today. (Since that was 10 years ago, my expectations are pretty high...)

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Attachments

• image-2166131311.jpg
    image-2166131311.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 370
  • image-1490337190.jpg
    image-1490337190.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 367

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
No, you cant. Believe me.

To predice a hi-res still from a series pf crappy ones is not a practise undertaken in the visualisation industry. As for iphone/pad apps? I couldnt say. 3 crappy phots are 3 crappy phots, even when shot on a tripod. All due respect, i suspect 10 years out of the industry is a long time. Sorry about the above app recommendation.

Last edited:
OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found and app that does it on the iphone it's called ClearCam it ha two functions:

1. take a series of photos and choose the stillest one based on the accelerometer

2. take a series of photos and process them in to an enhanced photo.

I downloaded it and the improvement is still minimal. But the concept is there:
Internet's Best Secrets: Super Resolution 4Mp Photos on the iPhone

Since this has been around since 2005, I'm shocked it ha not developed more... though it's used in Video quite often...

Super-resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a whole arsenal of high quality photapps for my iPad. U could try out Filterstorm, photo gene, or photo studio hd. They don't do like what ur looking for BUT u can turn some bad photos into some really nice looking ones with the editing, filters, and tools they have on the app. Just a thought. Some other good photo apps are photo fx ultra and photo pad(which I think is just the free version of photo gene...can't remember). Either way they can do wonders for cleaning up ur photos and adding different filters or fx if u choose. ;-)

Most reactions