What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with mail

harshoshanim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using GMAIL as my mail on the the IPAD and generally

things are okay. However, lately I've been getting the following message

"CANNOT get mail The username and password is incorrect" .

I can browse the internet and get into my gmail account via the internet

I therefore can't understand this problem. Any suggestions

would be greatly appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If that does not work, go into Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and choose your account. Check your user name to make sure it is correct, and re-enter the password.

If that does not work, delete the account and re-add it.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
X2 with twerppoet. Sounds like the PW might have changed. Delete and then re-add would be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

harshoshanim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all your responses. I feel that the best solution, if the problems persists, it to do as suggested and remove this account and start all over again. I was a bit afraid to do it no knowing what damage it would do to my old mail etc., but I suppose that if nothing else succeeds that's the way to go. Thanks again for all your prompt replys.

dru9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there

Had the exact problem just now so thought I'd check in to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

Before considering deleting the account, I intentionally set the wrong password in Settings. I was promptly told this was incorrect, so I typed the correct password.

Refired mail and now it magically works.

Try it first and see if it works for you.

lauriemay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried your suggestion and it worked beautifully. I had been having the same problem with iPad

pamthompson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started having this problem for the first time today. Mail has worked fine for last 5 months or so. I have tried allf the suggestions above but with no joy. I am very frustrated as I use the app every day for ail - it's a lot more user friendly than the web version. Any help gratefully received.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes servers go down for a while. Make sure you've added the account correctly and give it a bit of time. I don't know who your provider is, but this is pretty common for Yahoo. Nothing but patience will fix this.

As a backup, most website interfaces will work with Safari. Usually the servers that handle email clients and the website interface are different, so that one can be up while the other is down.

If it does not correct itself soon let us know who your provider is (often contains clues) and the symptoms as closely as you can describe them.

Most reactions

Latest posts