What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-mail sign-on

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been changing all my passwords today as suggested by many sites I'm on. I changed all my e-mail accounts as well. Changed them on my computer and my iPad. Yahoo - No problem. Gmail - No problem. Comcast - Big problem. My iPad won't accept my new password. What's worse it won't even accept my old password. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a PC or any other device, you can try logging in from there and check if it accept password from there.

Please post back whether it worked or not! Good luck!

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right!

If you have a PC or any other device, you can try logging in from there and check if it accept password from there.

I think you've hit on the problem. I tried to log in to my Comcast account and it wouldn't work. I reset my password again. Funny, after I changed my password the first time, it worked fine on my computer. I'll see if I can get my iPad to work now. Thanks for your help.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Frustrating! Although I can get into my Comcast e-mail on my computer now. I still can't setup my iPad for Comcast mail. I've deleted the account and started all over again several times. Reset the iPad twice too. UGH!

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frustrating! Although I can get into my Comcast e-mail on my computer now. I still can't setup my iPad for Comcast mail. I've deleted the account and started all over again several times. Reset the iPad twice too. UGH!

I just tried to enter my new password on my iPhone. It won't accept it either!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contact Comcast for support. They'll know best how to help you.
You already did everything we could suggest.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a question : What was the error displayed? Was it "invalid userid/pass" or something else?

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The message is...

I have a question : What was the error displayed? Was it "invalid userid/pass" or something else?

The message is "Cannot Get Mail, The user name or password for "mailcomcast.net" is incorrect.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try doing this : From Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars, select you account, then fully delete the password and retype the correct one again.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try doing this : From Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars, select you account, then fully delete the password and retype the correct one again.

Now that I have everything fixed, I have a couple more questions (probably dumb ones). On my iPad and iPhone, there is all these e-mails that were deleted long ago. Is there a quick way for me to sinc it with my computer? Or, do I have to manually delete them. Also, on my Comcast account, my iPhone and iPad only show Mail, no contacts, calendars, reminders, notes like on my Yahoo and Gmail account in settings. Thanks again for all your help.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unwanted, deleted e-mails coming back

I posted part of this on another thread I started, but I think it got lost somehow and I'm desperate.

I just went through two days of problems because I felt I needed to change my passwords on all accounts, especially e-mail. Long story short, I still have a few kinks I need to straighten out. First, I got back about 80 e-mails that were deleted many days ago. Second, when I set up my Comcast e-mail account (AGAIN), the account info just shows "Mail". My other accounts (Yahoo and Gmail) show "Mail, Contacts, Calendars Notes" This is under "Settings", then Mail Contacts, Calendars. Please help this tired and frustrated old man. This happened to my iPhone and my iPad. My iMac is fine. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your Comcast email account is a POP account. Yahoo, Gmail, and most other modern services use either IMAP or Exchange servers that are far more flexible and powerful.

The nature of a POP account is to store your email until you download. At that point it will either delete the email or leave it; depending on the settings of the device you are using. If you've been leaving your email (the iPad's default settings) and something happens to the iPad to lose track of what emails are new/old, it will download them all again.

POP is a pain if you access your email from more than one device, because it does not sync back up to the server. You can never be sure to get the same emails on all devices, and when you do, you end up having to delete them individually off each device.

IMAP and Exchange make all change on the server, and sync those changes to each device that accesses the account. They are much better choices for primary email accounts in the modern multi-device world.

I strongly recommend using this type of account as your primary one and migrating off your Comcast account. If for no other reason than that if you ever change internet providers you are going to lose that email account. At that point any accounts or services using that account to contact you wont' be able to do so. This would include accounts that use that email to verify things like password changes or other important notifications.

The only suggestion I have as to deleting the old emails is to go to the webmail site for your Comcast account and delete them there. If you then delete and re-add the Comcast account on your iPad and iPhone the old emails should be gone. Otherwise you'll have to delete them one by one.

You should also dig into the settings for your Comcast account and turn on delete after download on at least one device or computer; then make sure you use that device/computer to access your email ever now and then. This should be the last device/computer you use each day, to give all the others a chance to download the emails before they are gone from the server.

And yes, they should be deleted from the server. Most POP servers have limited storage space. Eventually the account will fill up and stop working until you delete emails. Though that could be a long eventually, depending on the space available and how much email you get. Also, deleting the email off the server periodically will keep the old email thing from happening on your iOS devices again, or at least keep it from being quite so bad.

Good luck.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted part of this on another thread I started, but I think it got lost somehow and I'm desperate.

I just went through two days of problems because I felt I needed to change my passwords on all accounts, especially e-mail. Long story short, I still have a few kinks I need to straighten out. First, I got back about 80 e-mails that were deleted many days ago. Second, when I set up my Comcast e-mail account (AGAIN), the account info just shows "Mail". My other accounts (Yahoo and Gmail) show "Mail, Contacts, Calendars Notes" This is under "Settings", then Mail Contacts, Calendars. Please help this tired and frustrated old man. This happened to my iPhone and my iPad. My iMac is fine. Thanks.

Hi Dendad.......I have found your earlier thread on your issue and have merged your new post to this thread. Just best to keep all info on the 1 topic/issue to the 1 thread in keeping with our Rules. Please post any further info on this topic to this thread only.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as I have noted by reading the various articles, I have come to know that Comcast is not available as IMAP account, though I have also seen many users getting it to IMAP by just typing false details first and doing something which I couldn't understand (on iOS 7)

You're welcome and I'm glad that it helped you.

Most reactions