What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with volume (down) control

jmarkhenrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased ipad. Love it, love it, love it! However (there's always a however), the volume control (down only) doesn't work. I can up the volume, but can't turn it down.

Now, for apps that have an on-screen slider for volume control, that works fine. It's just the volume control on the side of the unit.

Known issue? Or just bad luck on my unit?

I plan on taking it back to local Apple store this evening, but just wanted to see if there might be a known solution that I can try first.

Thanks.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never seen that issue on this forum at least...and I read just about every thread/post. :(

Hopefully you don't have to wait long for a replacement.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to ask the obvious. Are you sure you're not pressing and holding on the down dutton? Doing that turns it all the way down.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point...holding it is basically auto-mute. You have to individually press.

OP
J

jmarkhenrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried holding the down volume button, and doing single presses as well. Nothing changes. I make sure that I have something playing through the speakers and the volume doesn't change in either case.

Also, there is a "circle" display that appears in the middle of the screen when I press the up volume button to indicate the change. That same circle never appears when I press the down volume button. (I think this circle shows when you adjust the volume with no app open).

I'm guessing that I have a flawed unit. Hoping to get a swap-out tonight at the store.

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how it is with the iPad but I know for iPhones the stores kept a stash to swap out for customers' problems. Even if they were sold out someone could get a replacement. (That's at my NY store anyway).

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how it is with the iPad but I know for iPhones the stores kept a stash to swap out for customers' problems. Even if they were sold out someone could get a replacement. (That's at my NY store anyway).

That is true for the iPad as well - I called my local store. She told me to make an appointment online for the genius bar, or the appointment could be made by calling Apple support. Even though I had the local store on the line she would not make the genius bar appointment for me. I still have not made the appointment to take mine back for some fuzzy spots under the screen.

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may want to try a quick/soft reset of the iPad. Press and hold the power button along with the on/off (square button). The red bar will appear on top of the screen. Slide off and then power back up. Worth a shot!

Falco85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad a couple months ago, and I started noticing this same exact problem (volume control going up but not going down) since 4-5 days ago. It's very annoying and I'm not sure its a hardware issue or software. My pad has been going perfectly until then... Was googling about this and could not find anything so far

OP
J

jmarkhenrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update

I took it go the Genius Bar at local Apple store in Dallas last night. After they saw the problem, they took my ipad in the back. After about 10 minutes, they came out with a new one and said they would just swap it out.

No real mention of what was wrong. But, new Ipad words fine, including volume control, BOTH WAYS!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yep, its an issue some iPads are having with the buttons. The sleep/wake button started acting up on my first ipad, They replaced it with a brand new one. Cool thing was that it was 3 days after 3G launch and they were sold out but had some just incase someone needed a replacement.

Falco85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took it go the Genius Bar at local Apple store in Dallas last night. After they saw the problem, they took my ipad in the back. After about 10 minutes, they came out with a new one and said they would just swap it out.

No real mention of what was wrong. But, new Ipad words fine, including volume control, BOTH WAYS!

Did they move data and applications as well? I make daily use of my iPad since I bought it and having to move everything looks like a big hassle to me.. :confused:

OP
J

jmarkhenrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swapped out ipad

No, they didn't move any applications for me. But, iTunes didn't have any trouble with a new ipad. I just hooked it up and it synched up everything onto the new unit. No issues at all.

Chipmunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my iPad and it seems related to this thread about the physical volume buttons being flaky. Basically, my iPad spontaneously shows the "volume change" icon in the middle of the screen. Here is a video I uploaded to YouTube if you want to see it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_XsERQwpM[/ame] I should've zoomed out to show proof that I wasn't touching the iPad when it was doing this — oh well. Anyway, do you guys think I should go back and exchange this iPad for a new one? I'm still within the 30-day Best Buy return window. Oh yeah: I also just noticed that the physical "mute all" button doesn't mute, ever — whether in the "red-is-showing" position OR the "black is showing" position, it always outputs sound. Thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts