What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with pages - westlaw

jackieg1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't open .docs in pages when the doc was forwarded from Westlaw. Any attorneys out there have the problem and a solution?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not an attorney, but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Try using Open In to get it into GoodReader instead. Once there check to make sure the extension is correct then use Open In to copy it to Pages.

Or you could try visiting the Westlaw site in GoodReader's browser and downloading it directly, then use Open In to copy to Pages.

If that's not working (or I'm completely misunderstanding the problem), a more detailed explanation of what is or is not happening might help.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried the Westlaw app?

OP
J

jackieg1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no problem reading docs when I am in Westlaw. It is the e-mailed
Lied docs sent to me by my partner that don't open. Haven't
Used good reader or iworks. does anyone have a suggestion for a good document program?

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use westlawnext - the app. I've not tried to open anything in pages, but PDFs are a snap. The goodreader suggestion should work, but if you have next access get the app, it's great and elminates the need for any external app.

OP
J

jackieg1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To lawpad2- I use west next. What happens is I get emails from my partner with cases he has found and those are thevones I can't open. He has the same problem when I email the cases. We try to do .doc instead of PDF so we can cop/pasteninto pleadings.

What is good reader?

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crazy, I just emailed myself a law review article and some statutes in word, rtf, and wordperfect. All failed to open except the rtf files. They opened in quickoffice, which i dislike.

I use pdfs. From there, i can annotate with goodreader and/or iannotate. All annotations are summarized and emailed in text format, so i rarely need a text editor.

Oddly enough, because i'm constantly being asked why i carry just an ipad, i spent most of the night working on a website that details how i use my ipad 2 for law school (still in hell). I've come up with some very inovative ways of using this thing. However, it's not done. If youre interested. Let me know.

Quick fix, buy goodreader and highlight the relevant text, you can email just the text or the document with a text summary.

Excuse the typing errors, my keyboard is not within reach.

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With goodreader, you can highlight the text, send the summary by email, and then copy and paste into pleadings. Way easier than it sounds. Wish i could show you, it's very fast.

Most reactions