What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with new iPad connecting to Itunes

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a new iPad and I am having trouble with registering it in Itunes. Here's what happens:
I plug the iPad into my computer and Itunes comes up. I can see the iPad show up in the devices list. Then, when I click on "iPad" under the devices list I notice that there's the "accessing iTunes store" text and the loading bar up in the gray window where the apple symbol is. It appears for a few seconds and then an error window pops up that says," We could not complete your Itunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-9808)." and under that text, which is in bold, there is more text, which is not in bold, that says," There was an error in the Itunes store. Please try again later." Behind that window, on the screen where the syncing information for the device would normally be, is just a white screen with the word "iPad" in the middle of it. Can somebody please help me out?

OP
I

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a small update, I notice that when the iPad isn't even connected, I can't seem to sign into my itunes account.

Simonkey75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad-answers.com
Hi IpadIssues

First thing to note is that I've experienced some iTunes Store issues over the Xmas period - the load on the servers must be massive at this time of year, I would imagine - but it sounds as if your problems go deeper than that.

First, do a "soft reset" on your iPad - turn it off by holding down the sleep button on the top left until the red power off bar comes up on the screen, swipe this to turn it off then restart it by holding down the Home button. It's surprising how many things this cures :)

Next, make sure your computer is connected to your router by an ethernet port rather than wireless, and make sure when you are connecting your iPad you are doing it to a main powered USB port - not a USB hub, the iPad really doesn't like them (as I found out when trying to update to iOS 4.2 :))

If the issues continue - esp. as you can't sign in to your iTunes account - save your iTunes Library ( all your media files as well as as the Library.xml files etc found in the iTunes folder in your Music folder) somewhere safe - the desktop will do - and thoroughly uninstall then reinstall iTunes. Drag your Library files back into the iTunes folder and click yes to replace the files there. Now try signing back in.

If worst comes to the worst, you may need to do a factory restore to your iPad, and attempt the setup process again - keeping in mind all the factors I've mentioned above. Avoid buying too many apps, media files etc on your iPad until you've sorted this out, or you may ultimately lose them in the process. As your iPad is new, hopefully you've not got too much on there just yet.

Let us know how you get on.

OP
I

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your lengthy reply

After some research I was able to tinker with things and then the ipad's info finally appeared in it's slot under devices. It seems that the error I kept getting an easily be solved by opening up Internet explored---->Internet options---->advanced and then scrolling down to "security" an unchecking the option that mentions "certificate revocation". As soon as I did that I was immediately able to sign in and then the info about registering the iPad started showing up. Unfortunately a strange as appeared in the ITunes window and wouldn't let me go any further, but once I re-checked that option in internet explorer the ad disappeared and my iPad syncing info showed up. I hope anybody else who has this problem will see this and save an hour or two :) . Thanks again for the lengthy reply.

Most reactions