What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with app store constantly switching to China store instead of UK

genjalbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I bought an iPad in France and brought it back to China where I live.
My original iTunes account in the UK so I expect to always be redirected to the UK app store.
The problem is that I constantly get back to the China app store, even if I log out and log in again. Immensely frustrating.
With a VPN the situation is more stable but then everything is very slow.
Anybody has any clue what can be a long term solution?

starwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I bought an iPad in France and brought it back to China where I live.
My original iTunes account in the UK so I expect to always be redirected to the UK app store.
The problem is that I constantly get back to the China app store, even if I log out and log in again. Immensely frustrating.
With a VPN the situation is more stable but then everything is very slow.
Anybody has any clue what can be a long term solution?

It is probably due to Chinese government blocking access to the UK store like they do to Facebook and YouTube. Since it works when you use a VPN tunnel to bypass Chinese Internet blocking. I will warn you the Chinese government is starting to crack down on people in China for bypassing their Internet restrictions

FredTrellis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I faced this problem, with Germany/UK
Your Apple account is only usable in the country you registered, and gave a payment method.
However, you are only allowed, for copyright licensing reasons, to download content from the store that is in the country you are located.
If you're registered in France, you cannot download from China.
If you are in China, you cannot download from France.

Either de-activate your account in France, and register in China, or (as this did not work for the Apple store genius who tried it in my case) create a new AppleID with a new email address in the Chinese store.

Then you are in China, and your account is in China. No problems!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the U.S. and my iDevices are all registered here, but I have access to several countries' apps stores even without VPN use. For my uses, I need VPN only when I stream content using apps from other countries' app stores AFTER I've downloaded those apps (no need for VPN to buy the apps). I just sign into various countries' app stores with iTunes accounts that I've created for that purpose.

I suspect that Starwalker's post is accurate -- that Chinese government censorship is at work.

starwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason I did not respond back to that answer is I have first hand knowledge on the subject is my girlfriend is Chinese and lives in Shanghai.

OP
G

genjalbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the different views. I guess I am stuck with using the VPN then.
The China store is in Chinese and my Chinese is definitely not up to the task...

Most reactions