What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem With AirDrop After iOS 7.1 Update

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The above title should be AirDrop, not Drop Box. Could not sit it or delete this post to repost correctly. Sorry.

I just did the update on my iPad Air. I am trying to move some large docs to my air from my phone by doing that AirDrop thing. The icon that looks like a thumbprint. I found this by accident a few weeks ago, so I don't know how it got activated. I keep pressing it on my iPhone but it is not finding my iPad Air. I have been doing this quite regularly since I discovered it quite a few weeks ago, maybe a couple months. I have never had an issue going from the Air to the phone or phone to the Air. Both are connected to the WiFi. Don't know if that plays a part, but just in case, thought I would mention it. I am trying to free space on my phone because I can't use the computer and iTunes for a while to do the update. I have 3.2 GB available on the phone and have read it takes more. I have a few large manuals on the phone that I don't also have on the Air. So I am trying to transfer them via the drop box thing. That is how I got them on my iPad Air when I found I could do that. I just haven't done them all yet. I do not use iCloud. Not paying for more space than they give you, plus I am not comfortable trusting any non-local storage. Not anymore than I have to. I looked in settings and could not find an AirDrop mentioned so I don't know how it got activated in the first place. Googling hasn't retrieved what I need. How do I get the AirDrop to work? I did do a complete shutdown after the update. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FYI, I did find that I have to do the Control Center. I did that and selected Contacts Only. The AirDrop Icon on the iPad Air is grayed out and I can't get it to turn blue. It will not send to the phone and it will not receive from the phone as it cannot identify other devices on the wifi and it cannot be identified.mBluetooth is on and both connected to the same WiFi and it worked before updating to iOS 7.1. I really like AirDrop and would like it back. Thanks.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, we restarted our wireless router and I now have my AirDrop. Then it disappeared. Now I don't get the Airdrop icon. We have turned Bluetooth on and off. Turned wifi on and off. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. The mini can't even be discovered when it works and that was updated, also. The phone can be discovered when AirDrop is working on the AirPad. The AirPad can be discovered on the phone when it is working on the AirPad. The Mini is not discovered on any device and that was update. The iPhine 5 is not updated and I don't think I ever will update it. Can anyone help me with this? I thought I had it with restarting the router, but, alas, no. Thanks. I have attached screenshot photos from my iPad Air.

Attachments

• image-373475919.jpg
    image-373475919.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 329
  • image-1158376613.jpg
    image-1158376613.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 331
  • image-3293191662.jpg
    image-3293191662.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 348
  • image-416089056.jpg
    image-416089056.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, we restarted our wifi. Still cannot use the AirDrop. I am not a happy camper. Air and mini no longer have AirDrop. Phone had it always and was able to find the iPad Air. Now it can't even find it. The Mini now has a gray Airdrop icon which I had on the iPad Air for a while.

Yes, we restarted the router.
Yes, we restarted wifi.
Yes, we have done complete shutdowns in all devices.

Weird. The mini just got a request from an item that was being requested to have an accept from thenAir from almost 20 minutes ago. This is just not working since the update. Don't know if it is the iPad aair's reaction to the update, the Mini's reactions to the update or AirDrop's reaction to the update, but I am an unhappy person right now. Will be visiting the Apple people,when I get better and will not ever be updating the phone.

Has anyone else tested the iPad Air after updating?

Thanks for any input. I am so confused and really cannot state all the scenarios we got because it kept changing. Worked sometimes and sometimes didn't and sometimes a simple Airdrop of a very small file took over 20 minutes.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Problems with Airdrop since updating to iOS 7.1

I started a thread in the iPad Air section about a problem with AirDrop after updating the iPad Air to 7.1 because I thought it was an iPad Air issue but we have the issue with the mini also, so I am thinking it is an iOS 7.1 update issue.

Our Airdrop no longer works with the iOS 7.1 update. We have not updated the iPhione and that has no issue, so it is not our wifi, which is the same set up as before the update.

We restarted the router and whatever the other part of the WiFi setup is, modem(?). We restarted the iPad Air and mini. We restarted the Airdrop by turning it on and off. We restarted the bluetooth by turning that on and off. We restarted our wifi by turning that on and off on the devices.

The airdrop icon is gray. Sometimes it will actually turn blue about 15 minutes after touching it. Then it might find the other device ( mini if coming from the Air, Air if coming from the mini) 14-20 minutes later. The file, a very small file, will be dropped maybe 10 minutes later. It will be this, or there will be no connection (the icon stays gray) or no device will be identified and found.

My phone did locate the iPad Air at first, but now, no longer finds the iPad Air or a Mini. We try having only one of the other two devices "awake" or both devices a awake so the sending device is either trying to locate one of the other two devices or just one. Does not matter. AirDrop is not working properly.

Yes, Bluetooth is on.
Yes, WiFi is on.
Yes, we have the airdrop set to contacts and tried with it set to everyone and have turned it on and back to contacts only.
Yes, we have done complete shut down of the devices.

Everything possible has been reset.

iPad Air and Mini have been update. Will not ever update iPhone because I do not want to risk losing that Airdrop .

Any suggestions, other than updating the phone's iOS. Would not make sense anyway, because the mini and IPad Air are updated and their Airdrops do not work, even with the phone turned off.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, caq.

I've merged your two threads about your AirDrop issue into this one, gave it a new title and moved the whole thread to the Help section of the forum. Hopefully, this will now get some attention to your issue - and some help, too. :)

I am not upgrading my iDevices to iOS 7.1 at this time (I don't want to lose my jail breaks), so I'm afraid I can't help. But, hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some help. Sorry for your troubles and good luck.

Marilyn

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you all know, the AirPad is beginning to work. It is weird. It is like it is treading into 7.1 very gingerly! ☺️ It is not as fast. In fact this morning, it took it 10 minuted to find my iPhone 5, it was sitting right next to it! LOL anyway, it found it and finally I sent a test document and a test photo. I then selected a Good Reader document (in PDF format) on my iPhone and AirDropped it to my iPad Air. The phone (an iPhone 5) took a little under ten minutes to find the iPad Air and connect. Now, later in this day, it is evening, it is working faster. The sending device uses your WiFi to transfer and uses the Bluetooth in the receiving device to locate who to transfer to. The receiving device cannot be in sleep mode, it must be on and ready to use. It seems when the WiFi is more active during the day, my husband and I are both using WiFi, the AirDrop seems to be a little quicker. I am thinking this because this morning it appeared that if I did something on the receiving device that caused it to do something that it needs the WiFi for, it was just after that that the sending device found it. I could be wrong, but it happened every time. Now that the WiFi is more active, it finds devices a bit quicker, At any rate, whether I am right or wrong on my theory, I am happy I have my AirDrop again. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts