What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirDrop - A Disappointment!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Recently, I bought an iPad Air 2 which is now running iOS 8.1.2 - I also have my MBPro (spring 2013 model) on the latest version of Yosemite - I'm trying to transfer files, such as photos, between the two devices. Wi-Fi & Bluetooth are activated on both - I open Finder on my laptop and can see my iPad (in fact, I can drag 'files' from my MBPro onto the iPad icon and a transfer occurs) - however, I cannot seem to get files to move in the other direction.

My feeling since this new integration between OS & iOS, is that AirDrop is just not ready yet for 'prime time' - I'm not alone in this attitude, i.e. there are plenty of others disappointed posting on the web - just one discussion HERE, for those interested.

SO, I'm just opening this thread for comments on AirDrop - likes, dislikes, experiences, tricks, etc. Thanks. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The general consensus on the blogs and podcasts I listen too is that AirDrop between Macs and iOS devices is unreliable. For some people it works almost all the time. For others it rarely does.

I can't test it myself. My 2009 iMac is too old to have the Bluetooth 4.0 radio that's required. I can only AirDrop between my iOS devices; so I'm still using the old workarounds.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought iCloud was suppose to fill that role.

Well, iCloud (and iDrive) is more for personal use to share your 'data' between your various devices.

AirDrop is a technology for sharing 'data' between different individuals - Bluetooth (for discovery) & Wi-Fi need to be on (however, no requirement to be on the same Wi-Fi network); the range is w/i 30 ft of the two devices sharing data - a file can be sent directly to another person's device who must 'accept' or 'decline' the invitation. If interested, more information HERE - Dave :)

P.S. in the past, AirDrop, if available on the device, would work only between iOS or OS X, but w/ the introduction of OS 10.10.x (Yosemite), devices w/ these different operating systems can now exchange files, at least 'in theory' but it is just not a consistent technology (at least yet).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The other difference between AirDrop and iCloud Drive is that AirDrop sends a copy and iCloud Drive lets you work on the same copy both places. Sometimes ones preferable. Sometimes the other.

There is some overlap, of course, but each has it's main use.

As giradman says, AirDrop is mostly about sending a file to another person or device. iCloud Drive is mostly about working on or sharing the same files on multiple devices.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And a very informative thread this has been too. It's filled in some fuzzy knowledge gaps. Thanks guys!
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts