What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Uploading Photos from CF Memory Card

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling in France in June & want to use my iPad Retina to backup my photos. As noted below, I'm having difficulty uploading photos to my iPad. Since I will not be traveling with a laptop, that eliminates some options.

The Problem: I want to upload photos from my Canon DSLR camera's CF memory card to the iPad. It appears that I cannot do so since the iPad will not recognize my card reader. Can I assume that this will be a problem with all card readers?
As an alternative, I connected my Canon DSLR directly to the iPad using a USB male-to-male adapter. The iPad apparently did not recognize the camera. I found this to be rather odd since Apple sells a Lightning-to-Camera cable which (I assume) would do the same thing.

Since I seemed to have failed to get my photos from my camera's CF card to the iPad, I would appreciate any suggestions that might work. Thank you kindly.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be traveling in France in June & want to use my iPad Retina to backup my photos. As noted below, I'm having difficulty uploading photos to my iPad. Since I will not be traveling with a laptop, that eliminates some options.

The Problem: I want to upload photos from my Canon DSLR camera's CF memory card to the iPad. It appears that I cannot do so since the iPad will not recognize my card reader. Can I assume that this will be a problem with all card readers?
As an alternative, I connected my Canon DSLR directly to the iPad using a USB male-to-male adapter. The iPad apparently did not recognize the camera. I found this to be rather odd since Apple sells a Lightning-to-Camera cable which (I assume) would do the same thing.

Since I seemed to have failed to get my photos from my camera's CF card to the iPad, I would appreciate any suggestions that might work. Thank you kindly.

[*] I have this question too (0)

Did you use a Camera Connection Kit? I have a Canon too. I transfer the pictures to my iPad with it directly from the camera. It's used this way:

image-2057480850.jpg

I know something similar's existing for iPad 4 also.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:
OP
kitjv

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I was referring to in my original post. As I understand, the Camera Connection for the iPad Retina is simply a cable connecting the camera's digital output port to the iPad's Lightning port. Before buying this cable, I connected the iPad's Lightning-to-USB cable to a camera-to-USB cable with a male-to-male USB adapter. It would seem to me that this would essentially be the same as the Camera Connection cable from Apple. Since the iPad did not recognize the camera, I am reluctamt to buy the Camera Connector cable for fear that I might have the same problem. Does this make sense? Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I was referring to in my original post. As I understand, the Camera Connection for the iPad Retina is simply a cable connecting the camera's digital output port to the iPad's Lightning port. Before buying this cable, I connected the iPad's Lightning-to-USB cable to a camera-to-USB cable with a male-to-male USB adapter. It would seem to me that this would essentially be the same as the Camera Connection cable from Apple. Since the iPad did not recognize the camera, I am reluctamt to buy the Camera Connector cable for fear that I might have the same problem. Does this make sense? Thanks!

My cck looks this way (I have iPad 2 and 3):

image-3275537093.jpg

Apple Store

The cable you see on my picture belongs to the camera.

OP
kitjv

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I hace the CCK as well for my iPad2. However, this kit will not fit the iPad4 Retina which has the Lightning (as opposed to the 30-pin) connector port. Thus, Apple offers a Lightning-to-camera direct cable instead. But since I connected 2 USB cables together from the iPad4 to the camera, it seems that this would be exactly the same as the Apple cable. So my question is: if my camera was not recognized by the iPad4, will I have the same problem with the Apple cable?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I hace the CCK as well for my iPad2. However, this kit will not fit the iPad4 Retina which has the Lightning (as opposed to the 30-pin) connector port. Thus, Apple offers a Lightning-to-camera direct cable instead. But since I connected 2 USB cables together from the iPad4 to the camera, it seems that this would be exactly the same as the Apple cable. So my question is: if my camera was not recognized by the iPad4, will I have the same problem with the Apple cable?

To be sure: by writing "Apple cable" you meant this?

image-4092537478.jpg

Apple Store

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is made to import pictures from a digital camera to iPad.

If you don't want to spend that much money, you should perhaps try something like this:

image-235689930.jpg

Gilsey

Last edited:
OP
kitjv

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.

Thank you for your suggestions. But I resolved my problem. I purchased Apple's Lightning-to-USB cable today & it works just fine. I cannot explain why it works & why my make-shift cable did not. But as long as it works, I'm happy.

Thanks again.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A.

Thank you for your suggestions. But I resolved my problem. I purchased Apple's Lightning-to-USB cable today & it works just fine. I cannot explain why it works & why my make-shift cable did not. But as long as it works, I'm happy.

Thanks again.

There would be internal circuitry that allows the whole set-up to be used in the manner it is. It is not just a simple cable.

OP
kitjv

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barring any other plausible explanation, that is certainly reasonable.

There would be internal circuitry that allows the whole set-up to be used in the manner it is. It is not just a simple cable.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Barring any other plausible explanation, that is certainly reasonable.

Let me explain a little more. With multiple uses for the connector ports on the iPad, and multiple cables and dongles, ie. AV adaptors, CCK, remote dongles, etc. Each device/cable needs to identify itself to the iPad so it's hardware and software know how to handle it. A generic cable has no identifying way of telling the iPad you want to use its CCK interface.

OP
kitjv

kitjv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed, that makes sense. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Let me explain a little more. With multiple uses for the connector ports on the iPad, and multiple cables and dongles, ie. AV adaptors, CCK, remote dongles, etc. Each device/cable needs to identify itself to the iPad so it's hardware and software know how to handle it. A generic cable has no identifying way of telling the iPad you want to use its CCK interface.

Most reactions

Latest posts