What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to upload video and images from Canon 5D MK III to iPad Air 2

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am shortly going abroad and don’t want to lug my laptop with me. How do I upload images and video to my iPad Air 2 that are shot on my Canon 5D MK III with a Lexar 64GB 1066x Pro CF Card?

I currently have a Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7) and an Apple Camera Connection Kit. Some say this setup works fine, but a few others say this is risky, and one guy lost some images in the process and ending up with a corrupted CF card.

While it’s possible his problems were related to something else, I thought this forum might be the better place to ask this question.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Apple Camera Connection Kit works fine. I've used it for a few years now, without losing photos.

If your camera can build up it's own Wi-Fi, there's a way easier option:
Connect your iPad to the camera's Wi-Fi. Additionally, you'll need an app on your iPad, Canon Camera Connect. When you want to upload images from your camera, connect your iPad to the camera's Wi-Fi (in Settings - Wi-Fi), then open the app and load the images to the iPad. You can also use the app to remove them from your camera.
The app has another feature: it can function as remote. You can view on your iPad what the camera "sees", and take pictures with your Canon using your iPad.

Hope that helps.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am shortly going abroad and don’t want to lug my laptop with me. How do I upload images and video to my iPad Air 2 that are shot on my Canon 5D MK III with a Lexar 64GB 1066x Pro CF Card?

I currently have a Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7) and an Apple Camera Connection Kit. Some say this setup works fine, but a few others say this is risky, and one guy lost some images in the process and ending up with a corrupted CF card.

Hello, Johanna has already provided you some excellent advice - my suggestion is to have one or more backups of your images, i.e. keep the images on your camera's card and also on the iPad - looking at the specs of that camera, huge images can be taken and I do not see a Wi-Fi option (may have just missed the description?) - consider obtaining a larger CF card and multiple ones not only for backup but also for additional storage if you plan to take a LOT of images at high pixel resolution.

Now, if you also want a Wi-Fi solution, there are plenty of options - e.g. my Panasonic camera has built-in Wi-Fi and a proprietary app is on my iPad - easy to transfer images. Also, keep in mind the CF & SD cards can be purchased w/ Eye-Fi which provides a similar option - see image below from Amazon. BUT, bottom line is to take additional cards along and always have one or more backups of your images. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 10.56.53 AM.png

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I have just purchased the 5D MK III so I am not as familiar with it as I should be, however, though it does not have Wi Fi, it does support Eye Fi.

Up until I received your replies to my post, I had not heard about Eye Fi, and though it may offer an easy solution, I'm inclined to try the "Camera Kit Connection" using a USB Card Reader for the following reasons.

I have the Magic Lantern software loaded onto the SD card in the camera and intend writing to the CF card.
The CF card is a high speed Lexar 64GB 1066x Pro CF Card particularly suited to RAW video, (no Eye Fi on this one).
From what I can determine, you are limited in choice with the current Eye Fi cards on the market.

In any case, I have learned something, and it has given me something to think about, and also research further.

Thanks again

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I have just purchased the 5D MK III so I am not as familiar with it as I should be, however, though it does not have Wi Fi, it does support Eye Fi.

Up until I received your replies to my post, I had not heard about Eye Fi, and though it may offer an easy solution, I'm inclined to try the "Camera Kit Connection" using a USB Card Reader for the following reasons.

I have the Magic Lantern software loaded onto the SD card in the camera and intend writing to the CF card.
The CF card is a high speed Lexar 64GB 1066x Pro CF Card particularly suited to RAW video, (no Eye Fi on this one).

Hello again - you bought a 'powerful' camera (first pic below) w/ both SD & CF capacity - appears you can backup your images w/i the camera, so bring along a lot of extra 'large capacity' SD cards. Now, if you still want some additional options, just go to Amazon and google 'iPad external storage'; also, there are plenty of Wi-Fi considerations other than Eye-Fi cards - e.g. a device that I own (and have posted many times before) is shown in the second pic - an app resides on the iPad which can transfer images to the FileHub for storage on a SD card (to 'off load' iPad images depending on its GB capacity) - might just offer some extra assurance; also has some other features - now, there are many other wireless options if you care to search on Amazon. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 11.10.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.33.58 PM.png

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to giving me more options. In one of the attachments, you have selected a RAVPower File Hub. As a matter of fact, I do have one of these and they seem to work beautifully. I have streamed from an SD card to an iPad, Samsung Note 8, and Dell XPS Studio laptop simultaneously with no problem, (looks preety cool when you have them all placed in front of you like a wrap around screen). This is definitely an option, but unfortunately they don’t make a RAVPower for CF cards.

Having said that, storage of video and images is not my primary concern, as much as the ability to view the content I have shot on a larger screen so others can see. Passing around a heavy Canon 5D MK III to people with battery grip and L-Brackets attached etc. for them to watch what I’ve shot, on a small screen, will not work to well, especially when some of them are in their 80’s and 90’s.

As far as taking many SD cards with me, I could, but it would mean additional purchase of more SD cards when I have just purchased a number of CF cards, (I guess I want the best of both worlds, lol).

Also, here's some information I came upon from another individual since your last post concerning the Canon 5D MK III.

The SD slot is crippled so the fastest cards are useless. Worse, when you use the SD slot the whole
camera defaults to a really awful 133X write speed: Many pros do not use the SD slot at all, especially
when shooting action or sports.
My advice is to buy a top-notch CF card. Personally, I've been using the Lexar 1000X UDMA 7 cards
for four years, but there is a slightly faster 1066X card now.

And it just so happens that it is the faster Lexar 1066x UDMA cards that I purchased when I got the camera.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Indie. - I'm going to bow out of this discussion - you seem to know what your needs are at this point and have plenty of background knowledge, plus receiving advice from others who have an excellent understanding of these storage cards - good luck on your trip and hope all goes well. Dave :)

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave & Johanna,
This discussion was a pleasure, and the advice I was given was very helpful. In fact, I learned some things I didn't know, (how about that, lol).
My trip is to the UK in April for 4 weeks with my wife and 20 year old granddaughter whom my mom, (now 90) hasn't seen since she was 3 years old.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back on this forum asking questions again.

Peter

Most reactions

Latest posts