What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing From The iPad For a Windows User Question, Please ?

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Am a Windows user, running Windows7.

Thinking of purchasing an iPad3

Have a few year old printer that is hooked to my PC via a USB cable.
Pretty much the typical setup.
No Router (yet).

Guess I will have to buy a Router if I get the iPad.

Question: If I get a Router with a USB Port (a few seem to come that way), can I then print to my printer from the
iPad even though I am running Windows 7 ?

Or, must I buy a new Printer ? Or ?

How is this printing "problem" usually handled for Windows users like myself ?
Not too sharp with this "stuff". Would be really appreciative if someone could guide me a bit with this.

Thanks,
Bob

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are better solutions but I'm lazy. I just use Dropbox to take anything I want printed (few and far between) to open on PC and print it from there. Admittedly I have few things I want to print except for photos and all of them are printed from PC and big photo printer. Dropbox is a free app with 2GB of free storage. I use it to move things easily from Ipad to PC and vice versa plus be able to open anything stored there from any device.

Others will have better solutions LOL, but that's mine for the past two years without buying new hardware, just using what I have.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also have an older printer connected to my pc via USB. I use a program on my Pc called Fingerprint. With Fingerprint installed, I can print from any app on my iPad that offers printing. It works flawlessly. Fingerprint costs $10 if I remember correctly. As you mentioned, you will need a router.

lasllcap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane B said:
There are better solutions but I'm lazy. I just use Dropbox to take anything I want printed (few and far between) to open on PC and print it from there. Admittedly I have few things I want to print except for photos and all of them are printed from PC and big photo printer. Dropbox is a free app with 2GB of free storage. I use it to move things easily from Ipad to PC and vice versa plus be able to open anything stored there from any device.

Others will have better solutions LOL, but that's mine for the past two years without buying new hardware, just using what I have.

Dropbox is great. But, you can't use it without a wireless connection to the Pad; you don't say if you have the Mobile version in mind or not and, frankly, if you have a PC and no network in the house I have a hard time understanding the need for an iPad. On the other hand if you spend a lot of time at free wi-fi spots then Dropbox makes a lot of sense as you can work on MS docs or almost anything else ( assuming proper software on the Pad) there, go home, and all your stuff is on dropbox, updated, and ready to print (again, assuming compatible software). There really is a lot of infrastructure involved here.

viningc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a PC running Windows XP SP3but refused to have anything else to do with Microsoft. I purchased an iMac and a TimeCapsule and use the wireless router on the TimeCapsule to link my iPad to our wireless printer. Expensive solution but I needed a new system anyway.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a router (gosh, you need to get that ASAP) and an Epson printer that has a wireless link on my network. All my PCs can print to it. I have an Epson app that lets me print PDFs from Dropbox on my iPad.

You can get printers that have AirPrint and you should be able to print to it from the iPad.

thatdood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also setup iTunes and run the AirPrint service (search the net for the hack) and its free. I've used this as well as fingerprint. Fingerprint is great for a quick solution and it's only 10 bucks

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you purchase a Netgear router, they have a utility called "Netgear Genie" that turns *ANY* network printer into an AirPrint compatible printer. This is by far the easiest solution I know.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you purchase a Netgear router, they have a utility called "Netgear Genie" that turns *ANY* network printer into an AirPrint compatible printer. This is by far the easiest solution I know.

Is this with the newer routers? I have a 3700 but it doesn't have this feature (unless I could add it on via download???)? I've been thinking of upgrading...but was looking at an Asus. I'm going to google now.

Edit: Getting it now. Looks cool. Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it will work with the WNDR3700, that is the router I am using. Just google "Netgear Genie", you download it from their site. Airprint is on the left panel, second from the bottom.

Most reactions

Latest posts