What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router Question

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried first posting this in the Help forum, but received no replies.
I noticed that >150 folks have read it, so I guess it's doubtful I will.
Would sure like some expert opinions on this, so will take the liberty of posting here.
Hope this isn't against any Forum protocols; if it is, I apologize.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Have a iPad3.
Brand new user.

Also bought a Cisco/LinkSys EA3500 Router.

Boy, am I ever proud of myself.
Actually got the thing working.

This Router also has a USB Port, and that is my main question.

a. I have a bunch of photos and video clips on a USB Memory stick.
I plugged it into the Router USB Port.

What do I need to do next to be able to actually access, download to the iPad, and see some of these photos on my iPad ?
Is it even possible ?

b. If I plug an external HD into this router USB port, how do I access any Documents on it ?

And/or any photos on it ?

c. And, on the box the router came in says: "App for IOS and Android devices to manage your home network"
But, the setup disc included doesn't seem to talk about this at all.

What is it for, is it installed automatically, how to use, etc. ?

Much thanks, really appreciate the help,
Bob

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What make and model router do you have ?

I believe only the airport extreme supports hard drive Sharing with Apple devices.

Your router if not an airport extreme may very well support the USB port for external storage.....but only to windows based machines.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do it I believe. You will need a 3rd party app for it though, look into GoodPlayer on the app store. It will allow you to stream files via a network and pull from a usb device I believe. Research it on google first because it does cost like five bucks.

OP
R

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For MidRanger4 From OP

Hi,

Have a Cisco/LinkSys EA3500 Router. Has a USB Port besides the several Ethernet Ports.

Thanks for help.

Bob

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Robert11 said:
Hi,

Have a Cisco/LinkSys EA3500 Router. Has a USB Port besides the several Ethernet Ports.

Thanks for help.

Bob

Take a look at Cisco express connect app in the app store. While not specific it appears it may do the trick.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried first posting this in the Help forum, but received no replies.
I noticed that >150 folks have read it, so I guess it's doubtful I will.
Would sure like some expert opinions on this, so will take the liberty of posting here.
Hope this isn't against any Forum protocols; if it is, I apologize.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

Hi Bob-I just went ahead and deleted your duplicate post as it is against forum rules.

It looks like you are getting some answers here. Hope you find resolution.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Robert11 said:
c. And, on the box the router came in says: "App for IOS and Android devices to manage your home network"
But, the setup disc included doesn't seem to talk about this at all.

What is it for, is it installed automatically, how to use, etc. ?

Bob

after a quick google search, that model router does indeed use the USB plug in storage devices to share over network. The documentation should discuss how this works.

In regards to the iOS app, it must be downloaded from the App Store just like every other app. It is called Cisco Connect Express. Availability will depend on what country you're in. I think it is just a configuration app for the router, which you can do from your PC/Mac anyway.

As mentioned above, an app like Goodreader will help access network shares from the iPad.

snowbird34287

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sympatize with you, Robert11. I have been trying to find exactly the same thing about files on a USB drive using the EA3500 USB port. No success so far. The CISCO Connect Cloud app is useless. All it does is give a status of your network. I'll keep looking and get back to this forum if I find anything. I may even "invest" $5.00 and try the Goodreader app.

Beta65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ran into this same problem and solved it!

I use a program called "FTP Client Pro" but it looks like there are many others to choose from.

If you want access to your USB drive while connected to your network you need to connect to "192.168.1.1" and use "admin" for username and your "wifi pass" for the password.

It uses Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to connect.

If you go to the linksys/cisco website (forum wont let me post a url) and search EA3500 you should be able to find the users manual named - EA-Series_UG_FullCCC_3425-00125A_Web.pdf - you can find this info and more sharing info on and around page 46.

I also set up the FTP server and it lets me connect to my USB drive on my iPhone/iPad while traveling! But that's a whole another ball of wax...

Hope this helps!

-Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts