What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prevent youtube from lowering video resolution on 3G

buzzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

My carrier provides me with an unlimited 3G plan with high speed. So I do not have to worry about 3G overcharging.
Wen I'm outside, and I want to watch a video on YouTube, the video quality is really, really low because YouTube detects that I am on 3G.
How can I prevent YouTube from doing that? Or, if possible, how can I manually set the resolution I need for playing a video on YouTube?

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
buzzzz said:
Hi

My carrier provides me with an unlimited 3G plan with high speed. So I do not have to worry about 3G overcharging.
Wen I'm outside, and I want to watch a video on YouTube, the video quality is really, really low because YouTube detects that I am on 3G.
How can I prevent YouTube from doing that? Or, if possible, how can I manually set the resolution I need for playing a video on YouTube?

Thanks

YouTube will set the resolution of the video you are watching, based on the bandwidth of your connection. Having an unlimited data plan has nothing to do with it.

OP
B

buzzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Points to get? For what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I'm trying to say is..
YouTube lowers my video resolution when it detects that I'm on 3G.
I don't want that.
I want to fix that by either preventing it from detecting that I'm on 3G, or being able to manually control video-resolution, if any of those are possible.
If not, are any other solutions available for this issue?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want that.
I want to fix that by either preventing it from detecting that I'm on 3G, or being able to manually control video-resolution, if any of those are possible.

Hi buzzzz, My post was not aimed at yours, but at that other post, to which I will not make any further reference. Re the above, I'm sorry I have no experience about what you are asking, but others may come in to answer you.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
buzzzz said:
I don't want that.

Maybe your 3G connection is not capable of streaming HD quality video and YouTube is lowering the resolution to the best that is possible under the circumstances.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to do what you are asking (and yes it is perfectly possible, I've done it myself), you need to jailbreak the device and install a tweak for this purpose.
The one I use is called "3G Unrestrictor 5".
As well as enabling HD YouTube video over a 3G connection it also does clever things such as removing the restrictions on downloading apps over a certain size from the app store, downloading big podcasts over 3G etc. It can be configured to work with most apps which restrict bandwidth in the software based on your connection type.

A very useful jailbreak tweak!

Unfortunately, if you are not able to jailbreak your device for whatever reason, there is no way I know of to enable this feature on a stock device.

Head on over the our Hacking Section and read the stickies in there if you would like to know more.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the YouTube app that's installed on the device originally? I found if you go to YouTube.com in safari the video quality looks the same as wifi quality nearly. I'm on 3G and I use the website all the time now it's a pain having the safari menu at the top but it's a watchable video so it don't matter. I watched an idiot abroad season 3 episode through safari on YouTube last night and the quality was flawless even with a low signal. Try that mate.

Most reactions

Latest posts