What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power hungry iPad

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep mine on 100% brightness, but I've noticed the battery does drain a lot faster. I get around 75% of the time that I did wi my iPad 2. Maybe a bug with iOS5.1?

dalepa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After charging my ipad all night, I turned it on at 8am and read for about 10 minutes... Drove into work without using the ipad since 8:10am, ann now my ipad is at 92% battery at 9am. Lost 8% in about an hour...

Is this normal, or do I have an app that has issues... I do have the Good corporate app which checks corporate emails, and I'm wondering if it has issues... BTW: My ipad 1 was always at 100% when I got to work and lasts for days which my low usage...

Is there any app that will show top apps?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar said:
Everyone is different, but if your using 4G a lot one can assume your out and about in sunlight a lot of the time, so therefore would likely need it brighter, and if you can get a full day out of the battery with 4G activated also, IMO your doing pretty well.

My wife and I are retired, so except for short breaks and holidays, (which we have many) we tend to spend more time at home than obviously someone working, so it's quite reasonable that our 2 iPad's are used inside a lot, 45/50% is still qute a bright picture on the screen... So perhaps I have enlightened you how someone would find 45/50% more than plenty.

IMO, If set too high you lose contrast, cause pixel bleed, reduce pic quality, & increase glare & blooming, and if overdriven for long periods at near 100% brightness may even cause premature pixel failure.

For some reason my wife always turns the sound off while playing her games on the iPad, which I can never understand as in my opinion they enhance the game, but that's her choice. IOW not everyone is the same... you do whatever makes YOU happy... have a good day.

You are correct, of course, folks should always do what they feel is best for them....I would never encourage otherwise. Still, I do wonder if I am missing something when I keep my screen brightness down....and this generates discussion when I hear that others do differently....but that is not meant to put anyone down or say that what they are doing is wrong and my way is right. Also, I did learn that when viewing photos it is best to turn auto brightness off and adjust then screen. Photos really pop when you do this and if you don't you're missing out on the true benefit of the screen. So these discussions are good for learning from the experiences of others. I still plan to let auto brightness be my default state as I believe it helps the battery last longer, which can be more of an issue with new new screen tech.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no reasons for not running at 100%, as far as I am concerned, other than the reduction in battery run time. I like the look of pictures at 100%, but they look great at 40% too. Just not as bright.

After charging my ipad all night, I turned it on at 8am and read for about 10 minutes... Drove into work without using the ipad since 8:10am, ann now my ipad is at 92% battery at 9am. Lost 8% in about an hour...

Is this normal, or do I have an app that has issues... I do have the Good corporate app which checks corporate emails, and I'm wondering if it has issues... BTW: My ipad 1 was always at 100% when I got to work and lasts for days which my low usage...

Email pushes can take a battery level down, but it sound like your issue is the one with the battery indicator that I discusseded in another thread. There should be a softwater update before long which will address this problem.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to remember that a lot of novices have not learned about the brightness setting, nor how it could affect the battery life. One of the function of these forums is to educated the new and long time owners of this device to better enjoy its features. Even if it does not affect us directly, we can pass the information on to our friends and family with iPads.

I would add that display settings' impact on battery life is not exclusive to the iPad - it routinely represents 60-80% of the battery usage of my 4G phone.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new iPad uses 2-1/2 times as much display power than the iPad 2. It take 7 watts of power compared to the iPad 2's 2.7 watts for just the displays. This means that if you are plugged into a older 5w charger, you cannot stop the battery from draining while it is in use. Even the new 10w chargers could be challenged to keep up while the iPad is being used. A few little things can help keep the battery from draining as much. Keeping the screen brightness less than 50% is a maor one. Also using a smartcover will put the screen to sleep faster than just not using it. Push notifications can add up, so if you have your email off until you are where you can read it at your convenience, that will save you battery demand.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dalepa said:

Is there any app that will show top apps?

Mine is the same. It does seem to drain much quicker than my first gen iPad.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going back to the original question, does anyone know of another wall outlet charger, pushing more wattage than the apple issue charger that would charge the new iPad quicker? I plug it in every night, but being able to charge any depleted amount mid day, and to do so would quickly would be a nice benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MrsWozniak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep mine at 100%. I can't believe how low some of you guys keep it. I must have defective eyes!

iPad 3rd Gen 32gb wifi-4g

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

:)

I'm sitting here watching WitchBlade on my iPad...and wondering why all the scenes are so dark....oh! Friggin auto-brightness is on. Now I can see what's happening much better.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just note: brightness affects battery discharge, the more discharges the shorter will be your overall battery life.

Most reactions

Latest posts