What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your Pet

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I had wondered whether they come up out of the water to breathe. I am thinking we have a fish like that here in the States...but is darker in color and is known to walk on land. Never saw one like this one though...are they all that whitish color...that gives it that prehistoric look as well! Jurassic Park--:)

People call the white ones albinos, don't know if they actually are or not but they do have the red eyes and their gills (don't know if thats the right name or not) can be very red too.

You can get other colours and mixes of colours. They are in the Salamander family....I think there's a lot of different species available,

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Pidjengirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hahaha mollysmum reminds me of a a member on a reptile forum I moderate on called ownedbydrake.... I always thought it was their child but turned out to be their cat lol

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pidjengirl said:
Hahaha mollysmum reminds me of a a member on a reptile forum I moderate on called ownedbydrake.... I always thought it was their child but turned out to be their cat lol

That's funny, I always presumed that Molly was the funny dog in the avatar! Didn't occur to me otherwise...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
People call the white ones albinos, don't know if they actually are or not but they do have the red eyes and their gills (don't know if thats the right name or not) can be very red too.

You can get other colours and mixes of colours. They are in the Salamander family....I think there's a lot of different species available,

iPad 2 3G 64gb

I just checked if we had something similar here in the States...and I see we do. The are called Snakeheads and very invasive little creatures. Ours are a dark brown with spots...though the whites also exist here also.

Wow--I have learned a new creature right here on this Forum...and iPad Forum...got to love that!! ;)

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're right! Molly is my avatar. Lol.
Speaking of reptiles, I used to have an albino dwarf African frog. he just passed. Or rather SHE. I had her for several years. My first one was male and he would "sing" all night long. You used to be able to buy them in Walmart, petco, but I've noticed that no one carries them anymore. I thought I heard salmonella carriers, but the live in an aquarium? Crazy, huh? I would love another.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
You're right! Molly is my avatar. Lol.
Speaking of reptiles, I used to have an albino dwarf African frog. he just passed. Or rather SHE. I had her for several years. My first one was male and he would "sing" all night long. You used to be able to buy them in Walmart, petco, but I've noticed that no one carries them anymore. I thought I heard salmonella carriers, but the live in an aquarium? Crazy, huh? I would love another.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Love the funny way she's leaning over & "gurning" at the camera!!

Sorry to hear about your dwarf African frog. Do you have any pics of her?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pidjengirl said:
Oooo I'd love a CRB! Or a BRB but the ones I have held were young nippy ones lol. They are so beautiful though! Awwww I have a horse field tortoise who had stretched her shell due to greediness so she is on strict diet lol.

The CRB is very easy to look after but the BRB is a pain in the butt LOL

Her favourite thing to do is just after we clean out her pond she will promptly go and pee or poo in it. I think it is from when we first got her we had to slowly move her off pinkies (that is what the idiot before us was feeding her) on to larger food but she did not do any you know what for weeks. Finally the vet said let her swim in the bath in warm water to help get thinks moving. Only problem now is we have a 13ft burm that will only poo in water grrrrrrrrr

This is her viv, the first photo is her warm living area, the second is her pond and the third is the feeding box under her viv. When we feed her we pull it out to make it larger, open a trap door in her living area and down she goes to eat. We then close the trap door which allows us to clean out up top in safety. When she has finished we open the trap and she goes back up.

We built it ourselves (took a year to complete) so that she could be fed in safety but she is not fed in her viv so does not equate the front opening with food, only the trap door.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Attachments

• image-994863416.jpg
    image-994863416.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3587697309.jpg
    image-3587697309.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1561969371.jpg
    image-1561969371.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 114

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:

Her favourite thing to do is just after we clean out her pond she will promptly go and pee or poo in it. I think it is from when we first got her we had to slowly move her off pinkies (that is what the idiot before us was feeding her) on to larger food but she did not do any you know what for weeks. Finally the vet said let her swim in the bath in warm water to help get thinks moving. Only problem now is we have a 13ft burm that will only poo in water grrrrrrrrr

This is her viv, the first photo is her warm living area, the second is her pond and the third is the feeding box under her viv. When we feed her we pull it out to make it larger, open a trap door in her living area and down she goes to eat. We then close the trap door which allows us to clean out up top in safety. When she has finished we open the trap and she goes back up.

We built it ourselves (took a year to complete) so that she could be fed in safety but she is not fed in her viv so does not equate the front opening with food, only the trap door.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

It is so amazing hearing about all these pets! And how you keep them fed & happy. The pooing in the pond must be ... erm, a little bit irritating?!!!

Was wondering how you coped with the BRB while you were spending the year building her home?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
It is so amazing hearing about all these pets! And how you keep them fed & happy. The pooing in the pond must be ... erm, a little bit irritating?!!!

Was wondering how you coped with the BRB while you were spending the year building her home?

The one in these pictures is her second viv, we started building it long before we knew she should need it. It actually splits into two pieces and is on wheels so if we need to move it we can.

Luckily I have a very clever and inventive husband LOL

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:
The one in these pictures is her second viv, we started building it long before we knew she should need it. It actually splits into two pieces and is on wheels so if we need to move it we can.

Luckily I have a very clever and inventive husband LOL

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Yes, he looks like he's very useful person to have around!

Do you ever let her out? (sorry, did you tell us her name?)

And, forgive my ignorance, what does she eat?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Yes, he looks like he's very useful person to have around!

Do you ever let her out? (sorry, did you tell us her name?)

And, forgive my ignorance, what does she eat?

Yes we let her out for cuddles on the sofa (the dogs are locked out) and occasionally we take her out the front of the house which does tend to freak the neighbours out but we have never had a burglar - I wonder why!

We were feeding her rabbits (we buy them frozen) but they can be hard to get so we now feed her giant rats, again bought frozen. In the UK it is illegal to feed live prey to snakes mainly because of injuries to the captive snake if they are not hungry their prey can and will attack.

She is very gentle natured but we are under no illusions that she is still a dangerous animal and take all precautions. There must always be 2 people to handle her just in case.

We did a lot of research on keeping a Burmese and visited the reptile keepers at Whipsnade zoo who were very helpful and gave us lots of guidance and do's and don'ts.

We knew she would be with us for about 25 years so wanted to ensure we did it the right way. Too many people take on a Burm without realising how big it will get and how long they live.

Loops forgot, her name is Rhapsody :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:
Yes we let her out for cuddles on the sofa (the dogs are locked out) and occasionally we take her out the front of the house which does tend to freak the neighbours out but we have never had a burglar - I wonder why!

We were feeding her rabbits (we buy them frozen) but they can be hard to get so we now feed her giant rats, again bought frozen. In the UK it is illegal to feed live prey to snakes mainly because of injuries to the captive snake if they are not hungry their prey can and will attack.

She is very gentle natured but we are under no illusions that she is still a dangerous animal and take all precautions. There must always be 2 people to handle her just in case.

We did a lot of research on keeping a Burmese and visited the reptile keepers at Whipsnade zoo who were very helpful and gave us lots of guidance and do's and don'ts.

We knew she would be with us for about 25 years so wanted to ensure we did it the right way. Too many people take on a Burm without realising how big it will get and how long they live.

Loops forgot, her name is Rhapsody :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Rhapsody the Burm--Unforgettable!
Thanks so much for all that info.--very interesting, all of it.

What would Rhapsody think of the dogs? Would they be "food" ?
And would the dogs attack her? Or not be bothered? Or perhaps you have never tried to test that out!

Can't imagine taking one on without knowing enough about it growing and so on. But suppose there are some idiots who might (sadly there are always idiots...:-()

We recently heard a talk by our local "Police Wildlife Crime Officer" who told fascinating stuff about all sorts of crimes you couldn't possibly imagine, not just wildlife but also horses and aviary birds. He also said there was a very large snake living in OUR local sewers...(but can't remember which snake) which was probably one that had been set free because it grew too large. Yikes!

He said he loves his job but he's one of a rare breed-- his region stretches all over southern UK as they don't see any need to pay for more.

Last edited:

Pidjengirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Wow!! What a great set up!!!!! I sooo want one!

Most reactions

Latest posts