What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible end of 12.9 Ipad since 10.5???

Claudia P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 12.9 right after it released but kept my Air 2, I find I use both daily, kind of like the old Mounds/Almond Joy commercial, some times you feel like a nut some times you don't. lol
I use the Air 2 enough that I got tired of the frustration of trying to draw with a stylus that was trying to beat the limitations of the Air 2 so I got the 10.5. This time around I will either sell or recycle the Air 2.
If I'm working on something at my desk I prefer the 12.9 but if I'm watching/listening to TV and sitting in my recliner I prefer the smaller one, if I'm away from home, say waiting for my car having an oil change or waiting for someone at a Dr office I much prefer the smaller one.

So far I'm really happy with the 10.5, I only got it Friday so I haven't played with it that much. I can't wait till IOS 11 is here, I think that will really unleash the power of the new chip.
My case/stand arrives tomorrow and I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more then when I can actually put it in my lap and draw away to my heart's content. :)

Claudia P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No lol I've had the 12.9 since it first came out and I'm keeping it. I bought the 10.5 to replace my Air 2.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a good point. I probably should not be posting here since I don't have a bigger iPad but I bet the bigger iPads are pretty heavy.

I do think its relative LOL. I've had an Ipad since second week of Ipad 1, they never seemed heavy to me. I don't find the 12.9 especially heavy either but as I've said I don't "hold" it up like a book to use it. Even when I carry it I don't find it heavy--more bulky or largish than heavy. But still way less than most laptops--the Mac Air and maybe even the new Macbook 13" would seem about the same--but without touch which I love and I do use the Pencil quite a bit. So for me, it doesn't seem much heavier say than the Ipad 1 or maybe 3--but definitely larger. I've said its portable--the 9.7 or an upgrade to the 10.5 suits my husband for portability more but I will compromise for the bigger screen. OH, and if you use the camera (I don't) would probably prefer the smaller Ipad also.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57. I checked the site and the 12.9 Pro (gen 1) weighs just very slightly less than the original Ipad 1 cellular/wifi. Didn't think I was crazy LOL.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think one of the major benefits of the 12.9 over the other Pro sizes is for those who use the pencil. If you draw, write, do math or equations, then having a Pad that is nearly the same size as an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper is just nice. More real estate also means less need for zooming and such. If I didn't have a need for the pencil, I probably could have gone for a smaller one.

By the way, I too think the mini is a really nicely sized iPad. That is what I like to have when I'm sitting on the couch watching the tube. I currently have the mini 2 (the one that came out with the retina screen after the very first one which was pretty lame, IMO). I am waiting for this thing to die to I'll have an excuse to get a mini 4. I just hope they don't kill the mini off before my mini 2 dies. Of course, they could offer an iPad Pro mini...and they could even add that force technology (or whatever it is called) that is present in the iPhones!

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a hand holding device I like small screen sizes, I guess 9.7 inch was awesome for hand holding but when you enter into the realm of laptop replacement the larger screens are inevitable, and therefore I chose 10.5 which is a balance of both size, portability/hand holding property.

Most reactions