What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop3 vs Imap

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to use Pop3 instead of Imap when e-mail is set up?
When I initially set up th ee-mail the iPad automatically used the imap setting and maybe this is required. All the laptops and PC's that I have set up always used pop3.

I'm wanting to change this because when the iPad goes out and gets my e-mail it removes it from the mail server which I don't want to happen.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a gmail account, set up with IMAP. It does not automatically remove email from the server.

My understanding of the basic difference is that pop3 would download the email to your device, but not necessarily keep the two synced. Mail deleted from the device could still be on the server, depending on various settings. Downloading the EMail to an iPad may, or may not, delete the server copies, depending on various settings. Using pop3, various messages could be at one location and not the other.

IMAP, I thought, kept all locations synced. If deleted from the IPAD, it would be deleted from the server, and vice versa. I always thought IMAP was a better option.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I suspect something else is going on here.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use POP accounts on iPad without problem. I do that specifically because I don't want my email synched across all devices. I use my laptop to file emails that I want long term. I use iPad only for emails for short-term use. iPad allows you to set so that you never delete from the server.

OP
P

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And that is the problem. Something is going on.

When the mail dl's to my iPad it comes off the server. I've checked throughout the iPad mail settings and can't find anything that relates to leaving the mail on the server after it has be dl'd to the iPad. I have other e-mail apps that I want the mail dl'd to but if the iPad gets to it first I'm out of luck.

Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And that is the problem. Something is going on.

When the mail dl's to my iPad it comes off the server. I've checked throughout the iPad mail settings and can't find anything that relates to leaving the mail on the server after it has be dl'd to the iPad. I have other e-mail apps that I want the mail dl'd to but if the iPad gets to it first I'm out of luck.

Thanks

In your iPad email setup, go to Advanced and choose the Never option under Remove. That should keep all your email intact on the server.

OP
P

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use POP accounts on iPad without problem. I do that specifically because I don't want my email synched across all devices. I use my laptop to file emails that I want long term. I use iPad only for emails for short-term use. iPad allows you to set so that you never delete from the server.
I've looked all over and can't find that setting. Not to much I don't get the option of choosing Pop3 or IMAP.
Where is that setting?
Thanks

OP
P

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your iPad email setup, go to Advanced and choose the Never option under Remove. That should keep all your email intact on the server.
I'm pretty sure I've done that but I'll check it again and get back with the results.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked all over and can't find that setting. Not to much I don't get the option of choosing Pop3 or IMAP.
Where is that setting?
Thanks

Mine is under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > under each individual email account > Advanced > Remove (then I choose Never).

I use Pop3.live.com to host my email. I don't know whether and how it might vary under other providers' setups.

I have other email accounts set up on Google, and those iPad profiles don't have the Never option, by the way.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would also log onto your webmail and look for a setting/configuration page. There may be something available to specify whether to leave the email on the server.

Most reactions

Latest posts