What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor video quality on iPad 3

Piscean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to take a video of the kids playing in the family room (using the camera on the iPad), not too bright, not too dark. The first thing I noticed was that when pointing the camera at my subjects they looked very close-up and extremely grainy and out of focus. I can't find anywhere to pinch out with the screen to make it not so close up and no way to adjust the quality. It looks horrible. Any help?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Piscean said:
I tried to take a video of the kids playing in the family room (using the camera on the iPad), not too bright, not too dark. The first thing I noticed was that when pointing the camera at my subjects they looked very close-up and extremely grainy and out of focus. I can't find anywhere to pinch out with the screen to make it not so close up and no way to adjust the quality. It looks horrible. Any help?

I just looked at mine and it sounds like when you are recording it is in full screen mode I.e. zoomed in (no black bars top and bottom). If so then double tap the screen with one finger and it will shrink down and the subjects will not be so close and the picture less grainy (that's how it works on mine)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
P

Piscean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried it both ways, zoomed full and zoomed out. Crappy grainy quality both times.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried it both ways, zoomed full and zoomed out. Crappy grainy quality both times.

You don't have enough light. The grainy image on the screen is telling you that. Your comment above about "not too bright, not too dark" is based on your own opinion, not the camera sensor in the iPad. You should adjust your expectations. The camera in the iPad is ok for a snap shooter in a device that is not sold as a camera. It has limitations and you have found that you need more light to get non-grainy images. Go outside and try it there or let more light in your room.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember this tool is no replacement for a real camera. Very low quality images/video. Use your camera (a lot easier to hold, no?) and download that video to the iPad.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I kinda knew going into it that I would not rely on the iPads video camera, people can get caught up with the shiny bright advertising game that kind of leads you to believe that that this iPad with this I sight camera will kick butt!
Plus when you read below (from the Apple store) maybe the OP might have thought otherwise.
Just my 2 cents.

Megapixels matter. But the quality of a photo is determined by other things, too — like the camera’s optics, image signal processor, and software. The iSight camera uses advanced optics to give you the best picture possible. With an ƒ/2.4 aperture and a five-element lens, it captures light efficiently to produce a sharper overall image. And the hybrid infrared filter — typically reserved for expensive SLR cameras — keeps out harmful IR light for more accurate, uniform colors.

L

Lunar

You don't have enough light. The grainy image on the screen is telling you that.

I agree...tests I did during my 1st week with my iPad3 back in March showed that it could produced some decent video's, but it does require plenty of light otherwise noise will be evident. Outside daylight conditions produced quite good results, indoors however it soon fell off. I use a 3-CCD Panasonic HD camcorder for all my videoing, and obviously the iPad is not in the same league.

IOW the iPads okay for the odd family video, but for easy zoom control and misc settings and low light conditions especially if you want to d
o some serious high quality HD video's then a dedicated camcorder is the only way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions