What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help!

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently bought a mackbook air and would like to transfer all my info from my iPad 2 to the new macbook air?

I do not have the original Mac it is backed up to.

Is there a way this can be done with out having to buy an app/program?

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Specifically what information/data do you want to transfer? Photos, contacts, videos, movies, app data?

Tim

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will transfer my apps but, I would like to transfer my photos.

When I connect it it wants to erase all photos on iPad.

It says "Photos on iPad are synced with another library". I am using the same Apple ID.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are freeware programmes out there that can do this, I'm not going to suggest any specific ones because I don't use them and so I can't vouch for how good each one is but google is your friend.

You should treat this as a bit of a learning exercise.......a cheap external hard drive with a cloned backup of your computers internal HD would have provided you with instant access to your original files.......don't delay, get an ext HD today!

The Archangel

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi All - just wanted to join this thread! :)

Now, this must be a common situation, i.e. someone w/ an iPad purchasing a new computer w/ a Mac or Windows version of iTunes installed - will iTunes refuse to backup the old iPad?

If so, there must be a work-around (which does not necessarily involve having a JB iPad) whether a specific software program and/or directions from Apple itself?

I'm mainly asking since I'm in the market for a new computer (possibly 2, i.e. desktop & laptop) - my current iTunes is on a VISTA laptop; if I purchase a new Windows laptop, I'd go w/ Windows 7 (or 8 if I wait), so 'cloning' an old internal HD would not be a solution.

Lookin' forward to some more posts on this topic - thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'm so long away from tinkering with windows I can't recall how it all works (fading memory, etc) but on a mac I can make a bootable clone on an ext HD then on another mac of same generation or newer I can mount the clone and run it as if it were the old computer. Can this not be done with Windows? If it can, then you can copy your iTunes data to your new machines HD.

Also, does Windows not have a migrate feature where you can migrate your data from an old machine to a new machine?

Just my 2 cents......

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and for all your music purchases, apps, etc, you plug your Apple ID into your new iTunes, then go to (from memory) Store tab then authorise this computer......you can do this for up to 5 computers.

The Archangel

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Gabriel for your response - despite using Windows PCs since the mid-1980s, for home use I have typically bought a new computer(s) w/ a new OS and have simply reinstalled updated software and transferred files saved on external media (of course, external HDs or BIG USB flash drives currently).

I've never cloned a Windows HD for transfer so would be interested in others' opinions who may have tried this w/ iTunes and their success (or failure) story?

Yes there are a variety of 'migration' options & tools available when updating or upgrading to a new Windows computer, esp. 'files & settings' transfer; I've not done that either - my IT people at work have usually handled my computer OS upgrades over the years, so I have no experience there either.

Now a problem w/ Windows (and possibly iTunes, I don't know at least yet) is that a Windows OS version 'knows' the machine it is on and transfer to a different or new machine will typically not work; so I'm also wondering if iTunes stores the 'specifics' about the computer it is on and will refuse to be transferred to a new computer - again, I'm not sure and am hoping someone who has gone through this process will 'chime in' - thanks again for your quick response - this is always a sticky issue - Dave :)

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For photos only, if they are backed up to anything exterior (cd, DVD, ex drive, Photobucket) they are available to the new computer. When syncing I just don't sync photos - I download my camera to my iPad and my pc separately.

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
You should treat this as a bit of a learning exercise.......a cheap external hard drive with a cloned backup of your computers internal HD would have provided you with instant access to your original files.......don't delay, get an ext HD today!

The Archangel

Yes I should have an external hard drive as a back up. But for the instance I do not. So is this some sort of plot by Apple to make us purchase "Time Machines" from them? I mean come on a hard drive can fail. And if that happens and your iPad, iPod, iPhone are the only copys left what do you do? Download a program to get them onto your new computer! Come on.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Time machine is part of Apple os and is free all you need is a bigger hard drive as it backs up every hour then every day and so on if your new computer has say 350 gb get a 1tb external drive.

Regard your issue you can re-down load all your apps at any time free if charge to the ipad. If you have no backup of your original pictures or music any where a third party application is the answer it is not an expensive option

Backing up a computer is a must do in this day and age. Once iOS 5 comes out you can use icloud to back up tour ipad but at the same time if you have a large music collection you should have an external backup.

Apple is not forcing you to do any thing they protect your investment in apps

One cannot rely on any device having only one copy of personal data as any medium can fail I use 2 external drives for backup of my MacBook not all my music or photos are on my devices I use time machine on one drive and super duper on second backup the second back up is a fail safe in case every thing is stolen or destroyed and is a weekly back up only This means if you loose your master drive fir what ever reason you are covered and can restore everything With iOS 5 The ipad is backed up via wifi every time I launch iTunes on the Mac This also apples to any other devices running iOS 5 (once it us released)

. The other factor is using icloud in most cases you will not have to worry about back up to a computer so if your ipad, iphone and ipod touch fails you will be protected as every thing can be stored in icloud. (charges will apply)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
laserguy007 said:
Yes I should have an external hard drive as a back up. But for the instance I do not. So is this some sort of plot by Apple to make us purchase "Time Machines" from them? I mean come on a hard drive can fail. And if that happens and your iPad, iPod, iPhone are the only copys left what do you do? Download a program to get them onto your new computer! Come on.

Yes, that's exactly what you do. The iPad isn't sold as a backup device so, as you say, a hard drive can fail at any time.....which is why people have backups of the stuff that's important to them. Time capsules are expensive but ordinary external hard drives which do the same thing are not.

So you don't have a backup, you don't have to spend any extra, just download some freeware and you'll be up and running again.

The Archangel

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know you would not recomend any freeware but could you drop a few names dont know what I am looking for.

Most reactions

Latest posts