What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help! I jailbroke my IPAD 2 and now it has randomly stopped working

Sebastian81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I jailbroke my IPAD 2, on the 5.01 operating system. Everything ran smoothly using Red Snow. The experience over the last couple of weeks has been great.

This morning, I was using my IPAD 2. Then when I clicked on folders to go into an app, the folder wouldn't open properly...the folder did open but it was off the bottom of the screen. This has happened before so I did what I did last time and just rebooted the device. However, rather than going back to normal, it instead came back on but then would t rotate the screen. The rotate lock wasn't on.

Then when I clicked on any app, even settings, it opened in portrait mode but then the screen went to iPhone size and would not respond to touch. I do have an SBS Settings app on my phone that comes up when I press the home button. I did this and the little box came up. This did respond to touch and allowed me to do things like turn on airplane mode etc.

I tried rebooting and respringing a number of times but no change. I am in a hotel at the moment, away from my computer. I tried using my iPhone to wipe the device using the iPhone finder. This wouldn't wipe the device.

Has anyone heard of this before? I am really worried. I will try connecting to iTunes in a couple of days when I get home and will try restoring then. However, is there any steps I should follow? What should I do if it won't restore? What does it all mean!?!

If I can reboot the thing and get it working again, I won't be jail breaking again. Help! :(

aioannou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
It's the first time i hear something like that.
I believe the best is to restore to default and then jailbrake again with Absinthe.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Typically, this type of behavior on a jail broken iPad starts right after you install something from Cydia that is incompatible with the iPad. So, did you install something? If so, the easy solution is to go back to Cydia and remove the last tweak(s) you installed and that should fix it.

Let us know if that was it?

Marilyn

OP
S

Sebastian81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. The only problem is, my IPAd will allow me to open up the cydia app but then it only opens to iPhone size and it doesn't respond to touch.

I was able to use it fine this morning and then it just stopped working...I haven't installed anything recently.

I just hope iTunes will restore it to factory settings. It worries me that wiping the iPad using Apple's iPhone finder didn't actually wipe it. Perhaps that feature doesn't work with jailbroken devices.

Sebastian

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have SBSettings installed, see if you can put the iPad into Safe Mode. To do:

Open SBSettings and press the little "Power" button. You'll get a pop-up and one of the lines will read "Safe Mode." Press that button and your iPad should respring.

When it comes back, it'll look all weird but it should NOT look like an iPhone/iPod screen. Just slide to unlock and press the OK button. Then, go to Cydia and remove anything you think may be causing this. Heck, remove everything if you need to - you can always put them back.

If you remove a mobile substrate item (which is most of the stuff most people put on their iPads), Cydia should tell you to respring the device. This will make the iPad respring and hopefully, it will be okay.

If you don't choose to remove anything from Cydia, or you don't get the option to respring/reboot while in Cydia [removing stuff], you can get out of Safe Mode by swiping down on the status bar to bring that Safe Mode box back so you can press the Restart button.

So - give all that a try and see what happens. Let us know the outcome or holler back if you need more help. Good luck.

Marilyn

I don't know what you have installed

OP
S

Sebastian81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn....you are AMAZING!

It worked! I put it in safe mode and then removed 'animate', which was something to do with changing the colour of the apple logo on boot-up...which incidentally never actually worked. I installed it weeks ago and just left it there. Anyway, it forced me to repring when i removed it and it's fine now.

Thank you so much!
Sebastian

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay!

She does the happy dance...

I'm glad it worked for you. And, yes, I've read that Animate doesn't work well for some people.

So - now that you're all better, please consider keeping your jail break. You had a problem with a tweak that doesn't work well - but, as a rule, as long as you stick to the more popular tweaks, your iPad will run fine. If you wonder whether a tweak will work, either ask here, check out this ultimate tweak sticky thread (http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html) or do a Google search. That way, you can keep your iPad running fine. 'Kay?

</plug for keeping a jail break> :D

Regardless, I am SO glad your iPad is back to normal. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Marilyn

OP
S

Sebastian81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I will be keeping the jailbreak now that I feel reassured that there's people like you on this forum that are ere to ask.

Thanks again
Sebastian

Most reactions

Latest posts