What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play my Mac's iTunes library on iPad over wi-fi?

finkyblinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This seems like a basic newbie question, but I couldn't find it by searching.

I want to be able to plug the headphone jack on my iPad into my living-room stereo and listen to the files in my Mac Mini's iTunes library (it's in my bedroom). All I have found so far is Remote (to control my Mac Mini's iTunes with the iPad as a remote -- cool if I'm laying in bed, but that's about it).

I have set my iTunes to share my library over wifi, but it doesn't show up in my iPad's "iPod." I've also enabled "Home Sharing." What's the solution to this?

(Oh, and I don't have an AirPort nor do I intend to buy one.)

gaxor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dont intend to get an Airport express then unless you hard wire the ipad to your hifi I don't think you can

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a Mac, but I have Homesharing enabled for my laptops and I can see all of my computers' Itunes libraries on my Ipad (even my NAS) and stream to my Ipad.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an AppleTV to do the trick, plugged it in a small HD TV that is connected to a decent sound system. The one you can use depends on the outputs of the TV. Some HDTVs only have digital output that can't work with most older sound systems.

Then with AppleRemote and Airplay on the iPad I can listen to the music on the computer from iTunes, the library on the NAS and iTunes or just what I have on the iPad. The bonus is that I can see a slideshow at the same time or just listen to a movie.

There are sound systems in the works that are compatible directly with Airplay, google them. The most interesting being from Marrantz and iHome

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got an AppleTV to do the trick, plugged it in a small HD TV that is connected to a decent sound system. The one you can use depends on the outputs of the TV. Some HDTVs only have digital output that can't work with most older sound systems.

Then with AppleRemote and Airplay on the iPad I can listen to the music on the computer from iTunes, the library on the NAS and iTunes or just what I have on the iPad. The bonus is that I can see a slideshow at the same time or just listen to a movie.

There are sound systems in the works that are compatible directly with Airplay, google them. The most interesting being from Marrantz and iHome

It would be really nice if, in addition to AppleRemote, there was an iPad app that could act as the screen for AppleTV. This would allow you to play content from ATV direct to a sound system without having to use a TV to see the ATV screen.

By the way, for older sound systems (like mine) there digital (optical) to analogue (copper) converters so that you can output sound direct from ATV. I think there may be a bug in ATV at the moment however. The digital audio output doesn't always seem to be active. I often seem to have to turn the TV on momentarily to get the optical (audio) output to work, which kind of defeats the reason for having the optical output.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airplay sound systems will be great, I wonder what they're waiting for to get the good ones out on the market?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Airfoil lets you stream music from your Mac to iPad. The desktop version is shareware, but the iOS app used to receive the data is free.

Another alternative might be AirView, a free app, which supposedly let's you stream music directly from iTunes via the Airplay selection, however under windows this does not work yet. But might be worth a try, as it will be the cheapest and most straight forward solution, if you can get it to work.

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This seems like a basic newbie question, but I couldn't find it by searching.

I want to be able to plug the headphone jack on my iPad into my living-room stereo and listen to the files in my Mac Mini's iTunes library (it's in my bedroom). All I have found so far is Remote (to control my Mac Mini's iTunes with the iPad as a remote -- cool if I'm laying in bed, but that's about it).

I have set my iTunes to share my library over wifi, but it doesn't show up in my iPad's "iPod." I've also enabled "Home Sharing." What's the solution to this?

(Oh, and I don't have an AirPort nor do I intend to buy one.)

You might look at LIBOX - Your Media. Your way. They have server software for Mac and an iPad app as well that you can download from the App Store. I think it will do what you want - in the sense you'll be able to play content from your Mac, including music, through the iPad. I just got it last night and haven't gotten a chance to really play with it much but I think it does the job.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the risk of over simplifying, why not simply

synch? My iPad has exactly the same tunes in it that my MacBook Pro does. So does my iPhone4. What is the issue?

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 pc's all running Windows 7 and a NAS. I can see all 4 Itunes libraries from each pc as well as on my Ipad, and can see them on my apple tv. It was simple to set up. It sounds like you should try and delete and recreate the share.

Most reactions

Latest posts