What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Piper Jaffray says Android beats iOS in five years

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That five year extrapolation is clear misjudgment. Do you really expect Apple to just sit there and do nothing? Apple evolves as every other and they often take the first steps or are the first out of the gate with near perfect products. When they smell competition they just up the tempo.

Does anyone have an idea of what they're up to in the back shops? I expect to see huge jumps in cloud usage, the iPad being a first step. What next?

They better up their game in the "cloud" usage, because they are SERIOUSLY behind pretty much every other mobile OS out there. The fact that I have to plug in to iTunes to accomplish ANY task with the iPad is horrendous. Can't even subscribe to a podcast without going through iTunes on a computer. That is ridiculous.

Apple is on target and will provide cloud usage by the end of the year they are not seriously behind in any way infact they are ahead. This massive server farm is the reason.

Apple’s new data center in Maiden, North Carolina, is due to go into full operation later this year, Apple’s CFO Peter Oppenheimer said in the Q3 conference call. The $1 billion data center is one of the largest ever built, rivaling server farms operated by some of the biggest companies on the internet. Macworld
I believe we will see major changes on how we use all i devices sooner than later once the farm comes on line.

Apple is ahead of GOOGLE because they have 1 server farm. How about google has been operating in the cloud since Androids inception. No itunes nonsense to deal with. And i don't care how much Apple invests in a data center, its not going to come near to what Google has. I swear Apple people are delusional.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And i don't care how much Apple invests in a data center, its not going to come near to what Google has. I swear Apple people are delusional.

Sorry, I couldn't help laugh when I read this - so, investment is irrelevant? and you the accuse us "apple people" of being delusional!

I can't help question your knowledge or opinion with regards to the "Cloud" computing issue though, given your recent post in the Dropbox love thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/9943-drop-box-its-bl-dy-marvellous.html

Dropbox is by-the-numbers cloud storage which works very well and is simple enough for practically anyone to use; yet you seem to want to use it as a virtual USB cable to fill up your iPad with items that can be remotely stored and access only as and when you require them.

(about to get back on topic I promise!)

Apple are, effectively, bringing cloud computing concepts (which generally are only storage at the moment for the normal user) in by stealth. The devices in your pockets and hands do not need removable storage or huge hard drives *IF* the vast majority of your data is held elsewhere, accessible anywhere you have an internet connection. I don't want to give Apple too much credit, but I can't help feeling that the comparatively small levels of storage on iOS devices have had this concept in mind. AppleTV is another example (and an iOS device) - either streaming rentals, or accessing your own "personal cloud" that is your itunes library - which is also available to stream from your iPad/iPhone/iPod. Why store and synch in multiple locations, when you can store in one and stream to many?

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally feel we should make most of them popular , so that consumer will win and not control by the supplier. The best is make both compete on their price.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accessible anywhere you have an internet connection.

And that is where the concept fails every time. While we do take for granted that we have internet everywhere....what happens if we don't. Lets say there is a natural disaster and the lines are severed. Well now any and all vital information you may need is gone.

I don't think everything will go cloud ever for this exact reason.

I like to think of cloud much like when I worked in editing. An edit RAID is for disposable media only. If it has a backup somewhere or you don't care about losing it it is great because it is faster and more convenient. But you should NEVER store anything important, like a project, on the RAID....because if it goes down you lose everything.

This is how I feel about cloud based storage systems...they are for disposable media. Music, movies, ebooks, anything that you consume and could live without. Anything you have created however, photos, docs, contacts, etc should not be stored on a cloud as a primary storage....it is fine as backup, especially if its setup as redundant to a local source like an SD card or even a computer....but NEVER as a primary storage...because you may lose it someday.

I've been backing up data to my gmail account for almost a decade now...that was the first cloud storage I ever used....but I know that one day gmail will cease to exist or will not be available...so I have to remember none of that info is permanent. If I do an invoice in google docs I always make sure I save a copy on my local hard drive. My contacts are synced across my local computer, my local iPad, my phone and my gmail account.....so the redundancy there is pretty secure, short of a massive EMP.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs needs to secretly commission 3rd party licensees to build a vast army of iPad/iPhone clones. In five years, these could be unveiled to do battle with the droids of the evil Trade Federation (Google). Ultimately, the weakness will be unveiled when it is shown that merely destroying the mothership (Mountain View Campus) will make all the droids shut down at once.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't ever suggest it is the answer for ALL storage or processing requirements. Security alone is a nightmare - I wouldn't even be happy with my sensitive data being encrypted on a publicly accessible server. That said, I have very little data which I consider that sensitive. The vast majority of people don't even back up the information on their primary hard drives, let alone consider off site storage or any emergency planning. Main reason being is that I think its fair to say that many people don't consider what they have on their computer to be that important (rightly or wrongly).

Most reactions