What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.

She/he does have a point despite the rashness of the reply. Google's real answer to iOS will most likely come in the form of ChromeOS. Personally though I'll be happy posting from my iPad 2 :eek:

Actually they just stated that honeycomb isnt complete yet and that's why source hasn't been released yet.

It's unfair to the consumer that unfinished product is being shipped. When hc matures more android competition will be out there and prices will drop enough to make apple nervous. But without any form of app governing the android platform wi
ll cause some people to go back to apple. Are you aware that you can actually purchase warez in android marketplace? How the havent come under fire like bittorent sites is beyond me.

Apple's got a good thing going and ive recommended ipads and iphones over android devices because of the ease of use. I've preferred android devices for myself bc of the amount of support developers put in rooting and making custom roms.

Now for a few reasons why i took my xoom back:
- unevenly lit screen. I work in prepress and a good screen is a must. It's not noticable to most but the bottom is dimmer along the edge and it drives me crazy! It also seems like they've used far too much anti aliasing. So even at a higer pixel density the type is fuzzy.

- too many force closes. You'd expect some older apps to fc, but not the stock browser. Btw hc has the best stock browser ive ever used. Its the first time i didn't use a third party browser.

- usb and charging port in the wrong place. you cant use the usb port while in the dock. you cant charge or use the usb port while in the portfolio case. who designed this?

well thats all for now. my daughter's bugging me to get mommy's birthday cake cooking.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
heck, i'm taking the xoom back today because i do agree that it's a half-butt project that was sent out to beat ipad 2 to the market. and there's a chance i may leave work early to pick up an ipad 2,

I heard a few weeks ago, that 13% of xooms are returned. Do you think that is high? It could be more by now.

iPad2, huh? Did we convert you? JUST KIDDING! I am jealous though!

Why not close it? Not one person seriously interested in the Xoom is coming here to read unbiased reviews

64GB 3G White iPad

I am very interested! I actually got to play with one. After they got it turned on for me. I kept wanting to stretch it, though.:D

well thats all for now. my daughter's bugging me to get mommy's birthday cake cooking.

How cool is that! What kind?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NumbLock said:
Apparently, Zoom tablet sales hit 100k since end of Feb very good, iPad 2 sales 2.4m wow!

Yep... 2.4 million people can't ALL be wrong.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then just warn the two people and let everyone else talk.

64GB 3G White iPad

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
No kidding! Does that pass the first iPad, Michael?

I believe so. If it hasn't it will soon.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
This is a interesting thread. I guess I should tell my story. I have the Ipad 2 and love it but, I got the Xoom on launch day. I returned it but, don't laugh; I went back and got it again.

I like both devices but, if pushed to chose; I would keep the Ipad. I'm just a tech geek . I own a Android phone which I love and have had a Iphone 4. I build my own computers but, last year bought a Imac, which I like very much.

I agree that HC just isn't quite there yet. They did a update and, it's a little smoother but, still not as smooth as the Ipad. It works very smooth in landscape mode - just about as smooth as the Ipad - but, in portrait mode it gets choppy.

The reason why I went and got it again (the Xoom ) is because, I like trying different things and, I think Honeycomb has potential. I had the money to get it so, I figured why not, since I do still like it.

I also want to try out Verizon's 4G LTE, though it's not cool that you have to send it in to get upgraded. It should have been working out of the box.

Anyway, that's my two cents, which doesn't amount to much. I'm just a fanboy of both. This thread isn't so bad. I like these type of comparisons and, it's not nearly as heated as some of the Android forums get (at least the ones I've visited). I rarely even mention the Ipad anymore because, it seems like some people are seriously on the edge of wanting to argue.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have none of you that purchased the Xoom read that Honeycomb isn't finished yet and that Google basically just patched together what they could so that Motorola could push their sacrificial lamb out before the iPad2 launch? The reason its choppy is that its running a not even beta OS. Its completely buggy. Google will most likely be releasing 3.1 as the true Honeycomb and disavowing any knowledge that 3.0 ever existed, since there is only one device it ever will have touched.

It is well known that operating systems are works in progress. There are always issues ... look at the history of MS and Apple ... it has taken them years to get a smooth polished OS where the drivers all work and they are safe and secure (up to a point). So when I read that the next Google version will be the real one. They are all real and they are always in development. Some are better than others, right? Look at HP and WebOS and it has taken them months to figure out the issues.

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah i tried the xoom in best buy and i prefer android but no, screen alone is a problem for me and it lags at times. It really makes me think honeycomb is the problem because thats a dual core powerhouse. Maybe in a year android will get its act together.

Graphic card has issues too. One thing I can't stand about my android phone is how the background moves a little when switching home pages. That just seems like an unnecessary waste of processing power and makes the system seem slower.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NAYo2002 said:
Graphic card has issues too. One thing I can't stand about my android phone is how the background moves a little when switching home pages. That just seems like an unnecessary waste of processing power and makes the system seem slower.

Yep, while I DO like the Xoom, I feel it's a little half-baked. The iPad, however, is a fully MATURE product into its second generation. But even if not that, it was an excellent product out the box in its first generation. I was a doubtful PC person/Apple hater who thought it was just a fad and a toy until I challenged my self to go into the Apple store and handle a demo unit and see what all the hoopla was about. I haven't looked back since. To bolster that, my experience with Apple's customer service has been nothing short of amazingly good. Even my waiting time to speak with a rep on the phone is incredibly short. My overall experience with the product and the service has been quite positive, which is something I haven't seen in a very, very long time.

jake1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to see a bad screen, try a G tablet by View Sonic. They put a netbook screen into a tablet. It's horrible. Low contrast and one viewing angle.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jake1974 said:
If you want to see a bad screen, try a G tablet by View Sonic. They put a netbook screen into a tablet. It's horrible. Low contrast and one viewing angle.

I saw that and nearly spit my tea out through my nose. Talk about lack of vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts