What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Petersenjp said:
From my experience with Android, openness only means one thing, out of control processes running, force crashes, and one big word...unstable! Now, dont get me wrong, its great to be able to customize, but if you are constantly trying to figure out why applications are force crashing, your phone/tablet is running at the pace of a snail, and your battery is draining fast, its really not worth it. I guess if users can handle those issues, then they can go for the xoom, but for me, its not worth it.

That's funny you say that. I love my iPad 2 and wouldn't trade it for anything but! I have noticed a lot more apps crash on my iPad 2 then my iPhone and iPod touch. FreeAppADay shuts down every time I run it. Maybe the older apps have threading issues. I don't know but I hope they fix it.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D_LA_ROC said:
I heard the xoom feels like your holding a flat brick.

Sent from my incredible iPad 2

Oh, .... You said BRICK!
;)

64GB 3G White iPad

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how android fans are always saying the next version will be the best!! I waited over a year for that "best" version and it never came.

Uh, what are you talking about. Honeycomb is the first version of android made specifically for tablets and its not even officially "out" yet. What it is "out" on is a mediocre tablet. As for android on phones, I will put any android os 2.1 and greater against any version of ios any day. Android has amazing features and when run on similar hardware to the iphone runs just as smoothly.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience with Android, openness only means one thing, out of control processes running, force crashes, and one big word...unstable! Now, dont get me wrong, its great to be able to customize, but if you are constantly trying to figure out why applications are force crashing, your phone/tablet is running at the pace of a snail, and your battery is draining fast, its really not worth it. I guess if users can handle those issues, then they can go for the xoom, but for me, its not worth it.

So by your comment I assume you have had zero experience with android? Never had an "out of control process", rarely if ever get force crashes and its never been unstable unless I did something like undervolt the processor or overclock it.

The xoom has a lot of force crashes and problems because its awful and running an unfinished os, which is pathetic.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's sorta unfair to compare the xoom on an ipadforum. I actually think when Google gets to version 2.0 of their tablet and version 4.3 of Honeycomb, they may be in great shape. They know Honeycomb isn't polished and is competing on features and horsepower. It's PC and Mac all over again. PCs are the standard no matter how awesome Macs are. I ordered my iPad2 because I don't want a version one device when a version 2 device is available.

In 2013, I'll reevaluate.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So by your comment I assume you have had zero experience with android? Never had an "out of control process", rarely if ever get force crashes and its never been unstable unless I did something like undervolt the processor or overclock it.

The xoom has a lot of force crashes and problems because its awful and running an unfinished os, which is pathetic.

Please dont assume because you are incorrect... but I have been with android for almost 2 years now. I have been through almost every upgrade they have offered on the phones. I have had tons of force crashes from applications. I have had processes run in the background which had drained the battery in less then 4 hours (phone idle). The OS maybe fine, but with it being open to allow developers to access pretty much everything with in it, sometimes things do go wrong. Everyone has their own experiences, and I was just stating mine.

Last edited:

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Petersenjp said:

That's funny you say that. I love my iPad 2 and wouldn't trade it for anything but! I have noticed a lot more apps crash on my iPad 2 then my iPhone and iPod touch. FreeAppADay shuts down every time I run it. Maybe the older apps have threading issues. I don't know but I hope they fix it.

64GB 3G White iPad

Guess I haven't ran into those apps yet. My time will come I am sure :D

Reaction score

Please dont assume because you are incorrect... but I have been with android for almost 2 years now. I have been through almost every upgrade they have offered on the phones. I have had tons of force crashes from applications. I have had processes run in the background which had drained the battery in less then 4 hours (phone idle). The OS maybe fine, but with it being open to allow developers to access pretty much everything with in it, sometimes things do go wrong. Everyone has their own experiences, and I was just stating mine.

Which phone do you have?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Which phone do you have?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Hero to Moment to Evo...Guess I forgot to mention...I have SUPER bad luck...Guess thats why I am great at QA stuff LOL

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how android fans are always saying the next version will be the best!! I waited over a year for that "best" version and it never came.

Uh, what are you talking about. Honeycomb is the first version of android made specifically for tablets and its not even officially "out" yet. What it is "out" on is a mediocre tablet. As for android on phones, I will put any android os 2.1 and greater against any version of ios any day. Android has amazing features and when run on similar hardware to the iphone runs just as smoothly.

And there he is, the member that idealizes android at every turn. Sorry android is buggy trash. iPhone smokes android any day of the week.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
And there he is, the member that idealizes android at every turn. Sorry android is buggy trash. iPhone smokes android any day of the week.

Well spoken my friend, well spoken.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played with one this past weekend at Staples. Did it seem heavy to you? And the screen was so dull and gloomy. Maybe it needed to be charged.

There really is no comparison.
I did that same thing at Staples... came away feeling the same way. And was expecting it to at least somewhat wow me.

I know I do appreciate the home button on my iPad now. Just getting the Xoom turned on seemed odd. Sure you get used to that but the iPad just seemed smoother and more intuitive right from the get-go.

Michael

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

and here's the mod that think everything apple poops is golden...

iphone doesn't smoke android phones in market share anymore and hasn't in a few months.

it's true, honeycomb is not ready. that's why google hasn't released the source yet. as to why asus and moto get to put out tablets with half-done code is beyond me. apple's quality control wouldn't let this happen. stuff like this only hurts your rep.

i'd love to see an android tablet that has the quality of ios and the build of an ipad. but right now there isn't one. if apple loosens up a bit an lets widgets be used instead of just a grid of app shortcuts would be a step in the right direction. i love android for all the things you can do, but i hate for all the things it gets wrong. same for apple. so i have multiple tablets for different uses and will continue to do so until someone comes out with a perfect tablet for me... and it doesn't matter who makes it or what os it's running. for all i care it could be a windows 8 tablet, a full osx tablet... actually either of those would be exactly what i'd want.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madsquabbles said:
and here's the mod that think everything apple poops is golden...

iphone doesn't smoke android phones in market share anymore and hasn't in a few months.

it's true, honeycomb is not ready. that's why google hasn't released the source yet. as to why asus and moto get to put out tablets with half-done code is beyond me. apple's quality control wouldn't let this happen. stuff like this only hurts your rep.

i'd love to see an android tablet that has the quality of ios and the build of an ipad. but right now there isn't one. if apple loosens up a bit an lets widgets be used instead of just a grid of app shortcuts would be a step in the right direction. i love android for all the things you can do, but i hate for all the things it gets wrong. same for apple. so i have multiple tablets for different uses and will continue to do so until someone comes out with a perfect tablet for me... and it doesn't matter who makes it or what os it's running. for all i care it could be a windows 8 tablet, a full osx tablet... actually either of those would be exactly what i'd want.

Which android phone has outsold the iPhone? sure when you put the sales of over 200 devices against 1. Still the fact that the sales in the US are close is amazing on the iPhones part, couple that with the fact that it just recently went on to it's second carrier. The better barometer for overall popularity is worldwide sales. In which yes, the iPhone smokes android devices and that is putting it kindly.

Also if you are going to complain about how mods run this site, then please be my guest and leave. I think they do a fantastic job keeping one of the best forums out there. I'm sure I can direct you to a android forum if you want to feel more comfortable. Rant over.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played with one this past weekend at Staples. Did it seem heavy to you? And the screen was so dull and gloomy. Maybe it needed to be charged.

There really is no comparison.
I did that same thing at Staples... came away feeling the same way. And was expecting it to at least somewhat wow me.

I know I do appreciate the home button on my iPad now. Just getting the Xoom turned on seemed odd. Sure you get used to that but the iPad just seemed smoother and more intuitive right from the get-go.

Michael

OMG. Michael! I messed with that thing for a good 5 min and I could not get it on!! I thought it was me. I had to go and get a staff to come and turn it on for me. He said it was very simple.

umm....No. It was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions