What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos

dglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to ipad. I have uploaded photos via itunes. I have them in folders. It now appears if I want to add photos to a particular folder I must re-sync the entire group of folders or else they will all dissapear except for the folder where the photo was added. Seems cumbersome with a thousand photos. Same problem to delete one photo from ipad. It appears that the only way this can be done is to delete the photo on the computer and re-sync the remaining 1000 photos.

I must be missing something--- at least I hope so.

Doug

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you upgraded to iOS5 yet? The whole process is a whole load simpler under the new operating system.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes is not simply copying the folders, though the first time you sync it will, of course. After the initial sync iTunes will only make the changes on the iPad that you make to the folders and/or sync settings in iTunes. It does not need to copy all the pictures each time.

• If you delete a picture, it will delete that picture.
  • If you add a picture to a folder, it will add that picture to the corresponding album.
  • If you add a new folder to sync, it will create and add a new album.
  • If you deselect (uncheck) or delete a folder, it will remove that album.
  • If you turn off syncing, it will remove all the synced albums.

In short, the iPad mirrors the folder and/or subfolders that you select to sync in iTunes. It does so intelligently, only deleting and copying what it needs to, to make those changes.

BTW, that means you should never use the iPad as a backup for your pictures. Besides being extremely easy to erase them from the iPad when syncing (either by accident or because you decide to use a new computer), iTunes optimizes the photos. That means the photos on the iPad are seldom the same quality as the originals on the computer.

OP
D

dglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is not simply copying the folders, though the first time you sync it will, of course. After the initial sync iTunes will only make the changes on the iPad that you make to the folders and/or sync settings in iTunes. It does not need to copy all the pictures each time.
  • Thanks for the information-- Makes sense. It seems like it takes more time than just adding the one photo and the fact that I have to have all the folders checked or they will disapear made me think it was copying everything.

Most reactions

Latest posts