What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photos sent from iPad arriving upside down

Davidsanders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A number of times I've emailed a photo I've taken with my iPad2 and the recipient of the email tells me that the photo arrived upside down. I've looked at the sent mail and it looks fine.
Thanks for any help.
David

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can download photo pad app, turn the image upside down and email it to your friend, although it sounds like the problem is on the other end.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Take your photos with the home button either on the bottom, or to your right. The iPad tags a picture's orientation in a way that not all computers and/or programs understand. While the iPad will know it took that photo upside down, and correct, the other end may not be able to.

OP
Davidsanders

Davidsanders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Take your photos with the home button either on the bottom, or to your right. The iPad tags a picture's orientation in a way that not all computers and/or programs understand. While the iPad will know it took that photo upside down, and correct, the other end may not be able to.

That's how I took the pictures that arrived upside down. I had the home button on the bottom. I sent the email with the photo to two addresses. One arrived correctly, the other upside down.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Davidsanders said:
That's how I took the pictures that arrived upside down. I had the home button on the bottom. I sent the email with the photo to two addresses. One arrived correctly, the other upside down.

Ok, that I don't understand. Sorry

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's just a random quirk. I've goofed around with my camera and had 2 out of about 14 emailed pics flip like that, for no reason.

Mistress of Mischief

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I experienced the same with photos arriving upside down etc.
Going further, I had occasions that trying to paste screenshots taken on my iPad2 into other apps (i.e. contacts) appear turned by 90 degree.
I have the impression that this is related to the orientation lock which I use by hardware-slider - unfortunately I never have the time to really check that (I always just retake the screenshot and repaste in that case) but maybe anybody else has experienced it?

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took six movies, one after the other, at a meeting and tho they play fine for me, my friends with a PC find them all upside down. How can I tell them how to rotate them and how can I avoid this in the future??
Jim in Chicago

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
If the movies were upside down - why not try to hold the iPad the other way around?
On which side was the home button? Suggest you test both sides and send the test to Windows colleagues and ask them which arrived "correctly".
Lease don't forget to report afterwards ;o)

JimInChicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some great ideas!!

I ran the tests as suggested. All computers can play them right side up IF I shoot the movies with the home button on my right. Then I tried loading Quick Time on the PC's and found that with that software, it will play right side up no matter how I shoot them. It is just Windows Media Player that plays them upside down if I shoot the .MOV with the home button on the left. Problem solved!!! I did not want to abandon these movies because they cannot be re-shot; they were at a one time event. Now with Quick Time, all is good. I figure someone out there will point me to a free or low-cost editor so I can flip the videos shot incorrectly and re-save them. If anyone knows of software like this, please do tell!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I figure someone out there will point me to a free or low-cost editor so I can flip the videos shot incorrectly and re-save them. If anyone knows of software like this, please do tell!!

Hmm, try using the Export feature of QuickTime to save them again. Save As would only change the file name, but the Export will recode the movie, and might fix the problem. Hopefully the PC version of QuickTime does have Export. You'll find it under the File menu if it is there.

Most reactions

Latest posts