What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos App not working properly

Carol Darby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By photos app I mean the one that stores all my photos and comes standard with the iPad.

I use my iPad (version 2 and 64 gb) to back up my photos when on vacation. I have the camera connector kit and transfer images each day. This used to work great but has been behaving strangely of late.

Often I only transfer part of a memory card as it isn't full. The next day I attach the camera again and all the images on the card are shown as thumbnails and those previously transferred have a tick on them. I get a message that some of these photos are already in the ipad and do I wish to skip the duplicates. I select yes. In the past this worked perfectly and I would get a new folder of images in the events with that day's date. But now I get the thumbnails showing and only some of them are ticked to show they were previously transferred to the iPad. So these are the only ones considered as duplicates and everthing else is transferred even if already transferred previously. I will get another folder dated the previous day and with many of the previously transferred photos in it.

This means that each day I have to go in a delete all these duplicate images and as that is one selected at a time it is tedious. I work with many hundreds of images each day and it takes a lot of extra time having to delete these duplicated images. I don't know why this is happening. It never used to.

Is there a way of resetting the Photos app to how it was when I first bought the iPad? I don't want to reset the whole iPad and risk losing all my purchased apps and settings. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carol

OP
C

Carol Darby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having problems with the Photos app that comes on the iPad and posted a question back in October and again in December. I didn't get a response either time.

The problem I had was with transferring photos from my camera to the iPad using the camera connecter kit. I use the iPad as an image back up when on vacation. It used to work fine but earlier in 2012 I found that a lot of images were transferring twice. I transfer all images taken at the end of each day. Sometimes a card is only part used so it stays in the camera and I use it the next day. When I attach the camera again it recognises the fact that some images are already on the iPad and asks if I wish to skip the duplicates to which I say yes. However it wasn't recognising all the photos previously transferred and would do them again. Fine if just a few photos but often it was hundreds and having to delete them one at a time is a pain. This never used to happen and only started earlier this year.

A few days ago I went online to the Australian Apple site and filled in the contact form which promised a phone contact. I was floored when the phone immediately rang but I did get a recorded message which said there would be a short wait which turned out to be only 5 minutes.

The tech person didn't know what to do with my problem but suggested a reset and walked me through doing that. It is easy and quick and I was promised that all my apps and data wouldn't be affected. They weren't affected and I just had to make a few adjustments to get the iPad back to working the way I prefer it and had to put the password in again to get the wifi working.

So now it was time to test. I attached a camera with a few images on the card. All started well but as each image went through the transfer process (which was abnormally slow) I would get a red exclaimation mark instead of the green tick I would normally get. So none of the images were transferring at all.

I thought the reset had done something but I did a Google and discovered someone else with the same problem. It had nothing to do with my initial problem and wasn't caused by the reset. It seems this is something that was caused by the latest iPad update via iTunes. To fix it I had to do the following. Double click on the HOME button which brings up a list of all the recently used apps. I located the PHOTO app (the one that looks like a sunflower) and pressed firmly on it until it started to wobble and a red minus box appears in the top left of the icon. I clicked on the minus and the app disappeared. Note. It did not disappear from the iPad (this app can't be deleted at all) but it disappeared from the recently used list. I then clicked the HOME button again to stop the wobble and hit HOME again to close and return to the normal screen.

A quick transfer test saw that transfer was working perfectly again. Another test with transferring some images, then taking some more on the same card and then transferring again and I could see the problem with transferring duplicates was also fixed. Yay!

Hopefully this will be of use to someone who may be having the same issues I was having.

Carol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for that.

The reset and clearing an app from RAM (removing it from the multitask bar) are often recommended here, but I didn't' think of them when I first read over your problem. I'm glad you found the answer anyway and were able to use it effectively. Anyone with a similar problem who comes across this thread will be well served.

Most reactions

Latest posts