What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo migration without Backup Restore? You are out of luck :/

MoiSoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or at least that's what it seems :(

I bought my wife a new iPad and she started using it immediately, now that she have a few days with the new device she wants to get the pictures in the old iPad into the new iPad. Well, it seems there is no easy way to do that. Not even using iTunes. You can import your saved pictured into your Mac using image capture, but any pictures from previous syncs can't be downloaded back into your Mac.

I'm a little disappointed in Apple, since we were supposed to be able to cut the cord and not having to update or sync with a Mac.

Hopefully they'll come up with a migration App for iPad that transfers your Photos, Garage Band songs, and other personal data from your old iPad without needing a Mac.

I also would like to be able to transfer pictures to my iPad without using iTunes, maybe I'm on a PC without that software and just want to get some pictures to the iPad.

I know there are some nice apps for that, but for example, the only App suitable to transfer pictures from two iPads is only able to transfer 200 at a time, I'll need to spend a good time doing the transfer between the devices.

If any one knows of some way to accomplish this without too much hassle, I would really appreciate any input on the matter.

matthewfj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoiSoto said:
Or at least that's what it seems :(

I bought my wife a new iPad and she started using it immediately, now that she have a few days with the new device she wants to get the pictures in the old iPad into the new iPad. Well, it seems there is no easy way to do that. Not even using iTunes. You can import your saved pictured into your Mac using image capture, but any pictures from previous syncs can't be downloaded back into your Mac.

I'm a little disappointed in Apple, since we were supposed to be able to cut the cord and not having to update or sync with a Mac.

Hopefully they'll come up with a migration App for iPad that transfers your Photos, Garage Band songs, and other personal data from your old iPad without needing a Mac.

I also would like to be able to transfer pictures to my iPad without using iTunes, maybe I'm on a PC without that software and just want to get some pictures to the iPad.

I know there are some nice apps for that, but for example, the only App suitable to transfer pictures from two iPads is only able to transfer 200 at a time, I'll need to spend a good time doing the transfer between the devices.

If any one knows of some way to accomplish this without too much hassle, I would really appreciate any input on the matter.

You have a couple of options in this scenario.

1. Do it the old fashioned way and sync the old iPad with your Mac or PC. All of your pictures will transfer to your computer if you have the setting "sync pictures" turned on in the device settings in iTunes. If the old iPad is running iOS 5, you can sync over the air when your old iPad is connected to power and your Mac is turned on and running iTunes. When you sync, the photos will then show up in your computer with all of your other pictures. Also, when your iPad is connected to iTunes, click the apps tab at the top and scroll down. You will see a list of apps that can transfer data to your computer, i.e, pages, GarageBand. You can then get the files from those apps there. When the photos and data are in your computer, sync the new iPad with a setting in itunes to sync photos from whichever albums you want on your computer to the new iPad. I got a new iPad and lost all of my pictures and did this.

2. Email everything to yourself and save it to the new iPad.

3. Back up everything to iCloud, and then register the new iPad with iCloud. When you do this you will be able to see the backup, and will probably be able to download that backup to the new iPad.

Sources: My past experiences and knowledge

Most reactions

Latest posts