What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bidirectionally syncing photos

pepito5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a standard Mac user, and new to iPad. To start with, I put there the pictures from iPhoto in the Mac, but later I took some pictures directly with the iPad Camera. And moreover now I have new pictures in the Mac. I want a bidirectional syncing, i.e., that the new pictures from each side get transferred to the other side.

Will iTunes synchronization do this automatically ? Should I transfer everything manually ? With iTunes or with a third party app ? [Goodreader, iFiles, etc.] I am fearing that if I try iTunes it will erase the new photos in the iPad...

Thanks for any tips,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes will not erase the camera roll photos from the iPad. On the other hand it will not sync them either.

I like PhotoSync for moving on and off the iPad, but it is not necessary. If you use a Windows machine the iPad will show up as a USB drive. You can find the camera roll photos in the DCIM folder. On a Mac you can use iPhoto, Aperture, or the Image Capture programs. The first and last are included on every new iMac.

For more photo organizing options than you can get with the rather basic Photos app many members like Photo-Sort. It does not replace the Photos app, which you will still need for the camera and other functions.

And yes, you can use GoodReader. It's usefulness as a photo organizer falls somewhere in between Photos and Photo-Sort. Usable, but not optimal.

I don't know of any program that does automatic two-way syncing of photos, but it would not surprise me if there were one.

Most reactions

Latest posts