What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How The Photos App & Photostream Should Work.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After upgrading to iOS 5 and using it for a few days here are my opinions on how these two features should work.

First I will cover how saving a photo from Safari or an email and moving to an album should work.

I google "pics of 2011 camaro", find the picture I want, and save it to photos app. I close safari and open photos and go to albums and open saved photos. I then tap the edit button, select the picture I just downloaded and then tap "add to". I then tap "new album" and title the album "New Camaro" This is assuming I don't already have an album titled "New Camaro", if I did I would tap the add to existing album button and then select the album I wanted to add it to. And most importantly, after saving the picture to either a new or existing album it DOES NOT stay in the saved photos album.

Also, we should be able to freely move any pictures in any album, including albums and photos synced from iTunes to any other album and the moved photos appear in ONLY the destination album.

The one perfectly executed new functionality is the ability to re-arrange the albums. Basically, the saving and moving functionality should work exactly like the Photoalbums+ tweak in Cydia with the re-arrange functionality added.

Now I will cover Photostream.

Say I take a photo with a camera or save a photo from browser or email as described above and it goes to saved photos. All photos that go into saved photos or camera roll SHOULD NOT automatically go to Photostream. When a photo is taken or saved, to add it to Photostream, you should have to open the photos app, and fromsaved photos or any folder, you should have to tap edit and select what photo(s) you want and have a "Photostream" button in the "add to" menu. The photos would stay in whatever album you selected it from. The photos are simply copied to the Photostream tab. Once the Photostream photos are transferred to your home computer and/or other idevices you should be able to freely delete them from the Photostream tab on the original device but the photos stay on the other devices they are transferred to. Also, when photos appear in Photostream transferred from other devices, they should not automatically appear in saved photos. You should have to, when in the Photostream have to tap the edit button, select photo(s), then click save to saved photos or a new or existing album.

I believe that covers it. Apple did slightly improve the photos app with the ability to create albums on device and the ability to re-arrange them. But they really dropped the ball by leaving photos in saved photos when saved to another album, not being able to move photos to albums synced from iTunes...photos should be able to moved to any album whether synced from iTunes or created on device.

As I said above, they should have just copied the functionality of Photoalbums+ and added the re-arranging of albums and Photostream that works in the manner described above.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions about what I've said?

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't even been able to delete a picture or all photos from Photo Stream. I've spent 90 minute a day for three days trying to get Apple customer service on the phone and have yet to talk with a live person.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way is to turn off photostream, it deletes all the pics.

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you know what, i installed ios5, then found out all the functions dont really work intuitively. in the end i basically deactivated ALL the icloud function and found that its the best way to work.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've disabled photostream as well until when/if the issues are addressed. I'm waiting to see a news story of someone getting caught cheating on their partner because of photostream photos getting transferred automatically. lol

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Believe me just deleting the picture from Photo Streaming on the device (s) , or on a PC of Mac and even in iCloud will not remove them. This is a major design flaw with ISO 5. And one after 5 days of trying to work with Apple, I should have an answer within 2 days. Don't turn on Photo Sharing !

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Munky said:
After upgrading to iOS 5 and using it for a few days here are my opinions on how these two features should work.

I google "pics of 2011 camaro", find the picture I want, and save it to photos app. I close safari and open photos and go to albums and open saved photos. I then tap the edit button, select the picture I just downloaded and then tap "add to". I then tap "new album" and title the album "New Camaro" This is assuming I don't already have an album titled "New Camaro", if I did I would tap the add to existing album button and then select the album I wanted to add it to. And most importantly, after saving the picture to either a new or existing album it DOES NOT stay in the saved photos album.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions about what I've said?

I do not have anything called "save photos." When I click on a photo it offers me the option to either Copy or Save. If I Save the image goes to an Album called Camera Roll. I do not have the "Add to" option.

What am I missing?

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I'm right the camera roll on the iPad 2 is the saved album on iPad 1. The edit button is used to create new albums or add to already created ones.

Shirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new user and find it very annoying that I can't delete photos that I imported from my laptop. Or can I and I just haven't discovered the way to do it? Seems I've spent hours looking and trying but still my phot's have doubled up. I think it is a very basic requirement and am amazed that I can't find a way to do it.
Your comments are very interesting.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't delete photos synced from your computer through iTunes, nor can you add photos to albums synced from iTunes.

Most reactions