What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo album app for ipad1?

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad1 is getting a little oldy-moldy so I thought to use it as a photo album device. But every decent photo album app I can find cant be run on the ipad1 as they require ios6.

So any decent photo album apps that can be used with the ipad1 running ios5? I want to get away from that stupid Camera Roll... 10000 photos into that thing would be stupid...

OP
M

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
really? not a single credible modern photo app that can run on an original iPad?
I really didn't see this coming as the reason for obsolescence for older iPads...
Hardware still works great, in mint condition...

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the original iPad does not have a camera, Apple does not support the iPhoto app on the original iPad. And after introduction of four upgrades up to the iPad air, it is doubtful whether there are developers concerned with getting a photo app onto the iOS5 tablet now. Sure, there are hacks (including jailbreaking) published, such as the article below, but their usage and stability may be problematical.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...s_can_be_manually_copied_to_the_original_ipad
I have no experience re jailbreaking the iPad1 and it may well be possible to insert a photo app that way, but it does look like it's going to be very difficult for you now. (Hopefully someone may step in to prove me wrong:))
The regrettable fact that you have not received a reply from some of the helpful and knowledgeable members here may be an indication of where you stand with your issue.
Regards,
Andrew

From Oz using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
M

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the original iPad does not have a camera, Apple does not support the iPhoto app on the original iPad. And after introduction of four upgrades up to the iPad air, it is doubtful whether there are developers concerned with getting a photo app onto the iOS5 tablet now.
Thanks for your response...
While I wasn't expecting a *new* photo app for the iPad1 IOS5, I did expect that there would have been decent photo apps that ran on IOS5 from when it was current, and those apps should run on the iPad1 IOS5, no? so where are they?

This is not just a photo app issue... I have a feeling that the sneaky (unexpected) way to force the obsolescence of walled garden Apple devices is to simply stop offering IOS upgrades for them (perhaps justified), but then also remove the availability of older apps so that old hardware becomes truly frozen out (unjustified).

Yes, I've tried JB my iPad1 -- it crashed after a while, taking the whole install with it -- had to do a complete re-install of IOS... But I will probably try again (nothing to lose...)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand late last year Apple provided a method for newer versions of apps beyond iOS 5.1 to be downloaded to older iPads. Apparently how that works is if you find an app you like and try and download it you get a message asking you if you want to download it. No doubt that works with certain apps but that seems to me a very hit and miss exercise!
And I believe you are right. Apple would very much like you to upgrade your iPad 1 for a v4 or Air. That's business, or as some like to call it, the march of progress;)
Andrew

From Oz using Tapatalk Pro

OP
M

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I also do have an iPad Air (Xmas present :) ), but its no less of a crime that the iPad1 is purposely and unnecessarily being made useless...

I'm not asking for it to run 2014 apps, but I can't even load apps from 2012...
Its a direct consequence of the walled garden, single store restriction: In the Windows/PC world, it still is possible to find old versions of programs to run on old hardware, on ebay for example... or online repositories...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts