What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ZAGGmate arrived today with a dead battery, I think. The instruction sheet that comes in the package don't say what power source to plug it into or how long it takes to fully charge the battery. I reasoned that since it was made for an iPad it would be made to take the high voltage from the iPad wall wart. I don't remember the ZAGGmate being hot after I unplugged it several hours later so guess I haven't done any damage but information on charging times at 5v and 10v would be useful.

I found that when the two devices are paired the soft keyboard does not show up on the iPad. Pressing the F3 key configures something that let's you use the soft keyboard or the ZAGGmate keyboard.

I am not able to use my iPad in the Steve-approved manner with the ZAGGmate. I get into a recumbent position and place the ZAGGmate on my lap then insert the iPad in the landscape mode. All is fine. But as soon as I flex my knees like they do in all the billboard ads the iPad falls over on it's screen. I hope I am not going to void my iPad warranty by using it with the ZAGGmate sitting at a table with both of my feet on the floor:)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGGmate and audio

There are cutouts in the foam that grips the iPad that keep the case from pressing the power/sleep, screen rotation lock (staying with 3.2.2 until jailbreak becomes one click simple), and volume switches. And there is a cutout so you can plug in a sync cable and charge the iPad while it is in the case. But there are no holes for the speaker, headphone Jack and microphone. The iPad case resonates enough that I get plenty of sound even with the iPad in the case. But I might want to listed to audio on wired headphones while my iPad is safely closed up in my backpack and know that I will want to be making discrete recordings while the iPad is sitting on a table in the closed case and without cutouts over the audio connectors this will be impossible. I hate to think of taking a Dremel tool to something this nice, particularly with my skills in that area.

wannaride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having lived with the ZaggMate for an entire week now I have to tell you that I'm even happier with it now. No need to turn the switch off in most instances. Mine has withstood a entire week of intense use without being turned off with no battery issues thus far. FYI you should always fully charge any device before you use it. When you have the iPad in the ZaggMate you simple hit any key twice and you're into the iPad. No need for finger swipes. The dedicated keys are helpful. I'm getting used to the key spacing. Why you'd want to hide the awesome metal with a cover is beyond me. A few scratches builds character. You'll have a new iPad in a year anyway.

Gellio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having used the Zaggmate moderately for the last two weeks, I'm very disappointed. It absolutely is cheaply made and poorly constructed. I never took this case out of my house, only using it at home. This are the problems I've encountered:

1. The power cord has to be fiddled with to get it to connection order to charge the keyboard. I have to find the sweet spot and put something under the cord, to prop it, in order to keep the connection.

2. The little metal conductor piece, inside the charger port, comes out when I unplug the power cord.

3. The rubber material inside the case gets dirty easily and attracts dirt much like the Apple iPad case. Keep in mind if the keyboard was not in use it was either covered by the iPad or upside down on a clean bookshelf. I wanted to avoid getting dust in the keyboard.

4. The rubber material is starting to peel back on one side.

5. You have to be very careful putting the ipad in the case. It actually scratched the side of my iPad.

6. The case itself stratches too easily.

I take extremely good care of my things, so I am not careless. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. I thought this product was great the first week, but even with minimal usage, the cheap construction and poor materials didn't stand the test of time for such a short period.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gilleo, Sorry to read you are having such a bad

experience with your Zaggmate. I urge you to contact Zagg and see what they can do to replace it because this is not my experience at all, except maybe #6 of your list. I did scratch it by putting it on a counter top that had a couple of paperclips. But then I put the silicon tabs on the cover and that stopped further contact with hard surfaces.

I have only had to plug in this keyboard once and it was very easy and it stayed plugged until I pulled it out. The keyboard has remained very clean, no peeling rubber and I carry my iPad in the Zaggmate to work and back, bouncing around in a messenger bag.

I think you got a 'lemon'. So I would contact Zagg and replace it or get your money back!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Response to Gellio

I work for ZAGG and want to personally apologize for the issues you are having with your ZAGGmate. What you are describing is certainly not up to the standards we expect here at ZAGG and we would love the opportunity to send you a replacement. It does sound like you received a lemon. You should not be having problems with the charging port, the foam edges, etc. Please call customer service and we will take care of this right away.

In answer to a previous question about charging, yes, you may charge your ZAGGmate with any computer USB port, USB charger, iPad or iPod charger (both the 5 or 10 watt versions work just fine).

In response to the questions about an FN lock, we don't have that built into the current software but we will look into adding it to future versions.

We have added an FAQ section on our website that has some other hints as well.

Thank you all for your continued support and feedback.

jtiggidy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One minor suggestion for any future manufacture change. You could make the slight cutout for the ipad charging port on each end as well as the same very slight cutout of the foam for the power button (the latter is something I have already done to mine). Then the ZaggMate would be orientation neutral; its the politically correct thing to do ;)

I do agree that the ZaggMate scratches very easily.. I have already bought leather skins for both mine and my girls iPad and Zaggmate; I cant believe I spent $200 bucks for just skins. As I have said before it would be really nice to have a skin option that wrapped the edges of the ZaggMate to prevent it from getting scratched as well as helping prevent the iPad from getting scratched by the ZaggMate. Also, I really think that Zagg should include a coupon for a very discounted price for their leather skins with the purchase of the Zagg mate. Or better yet, when checking out at Zagg direct.. give the option to add a Zagg leather skin for $20 bucks or something. I still cant believe that I spent over $600 bucks at Zagg for christmas.

I also agree that you have to be very careful not to scratch your iPad with the edges of the ZaggMate when taking it in and out of the unit. But, once you have a good method of doing that it is not really a problem... you just have to be conscious of that fact and take your time to orient things right. My iPad had many scratches before the ZaggMate and I doubt there will be a rise in the occurrence of them with the unit.

Those things said, this is the best keyboard case out there if you actually plan to use the keyboard and you dont want your ipad to be 1" thick or more. Typing on those others' rubber keyboards is silly; I would rather type with the on-screen keyboard. We love our ZaggMates!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a Zaggmate keyboard for Xmas, and it's back in the package already. The letter T was off.

I'd been looking forward to it and I couldn't resist testing it even without the T. I spend about three minutes trying to pair it with my iPad before I gave up. My Microsoft BT 6000 was much easier to connect, and feels much sturdier.

It seems like the keyboard itself is pretty nice, but I'm wondering how long the keys will stay in place under regular use.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The letter "T"

Sorry about the letter T issue. These keyboards are very sturdy and durable. The letters are placed onto the scissor mechanism on an assembly line and it sounds like your T wasn't placed correctly. I'm also assuming the defect on the T is what was causing the pairing issue as your keyboard was probably sending that letter the whole time. Please call customer support and we will replace your unit right away and make it worth your while. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have to say I am not disappointed in the Zaggmate. I keep looking for things to type on my ipad ever since i opened my gift this morning! I do need to get used to the stiffness and closeness of the keys but the function and build quality on my particular piece is near perfect. YAY!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I First Got Mine the Keys Were Stiff

i have to say I am not disappointed in the Zaggmate. I keep looking for things to type on my ipad ever since i opened my gift this morning! I do need to get used to the stiffness and closeness of the keys but the function and build quality on my particular piece is near perfect. YAY!

But over the past two weeks, the more I use my Zaggmate, the better the keys feel and my typing is more accurate. I practiced on the Notes app. I tried out all the keyboard short cuts, etc. I am still very pleased with this accessory.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yay, Brenn!

Glad to hear the wait was worth it. And, I know what you mean - I look for reasons to type on it also. I mean, look, here I am right now, typing away on it, saying nothing, really. Just ... typing.

Oh, look, I've just used the arrow keys (!) to scroll around in this tiny text input window. Oooops, just had to use the backspace key to correct a typo. Aw, the sweet ease of putting in numbers makes it (1) easy to do and (2) fun!

:D

Sorry, got carried away there ... a bit. Glad you like it, though. And yeah, it either gets easier to use over time or I'm getting better with it. Regardless, I type better now with it than when I got it.

Merry Christmas!

Marilyn

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I got to test drive mine today after the crowd as left and I'm allowed to play with my toys. I have a few comments to say about my Zaggmate.
First I had a hell of a time getting it out of the package,next the instruction guide is very hard to read being black paper and you cannot read or see the diagram.
Pairing it up I had no problems,using the keyboard I had no problems,however trying to stand the iPad up into the Zaggmate thats where I am having trouble as it wants to slip out,I have yet to have it stand up in the slot with out me holding on to it in case it falls. Maybe its me but I do not trust that little wedge whatever its called that supposed to make it stand up. My feeling right now is I would like to return it,but I'm one of those types that don't give in too soon, so I will keep on trying to get it right.

Al.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I got to test drive mine today after the crowd as left and I'm allowed to play with my toys. I have a few comments to say about my Zaggmate.
First I had a hell of a time getting it out of the package,next the instruction guide is very hard to read being black paper and you cannot read or see the diagram.
Pairing it up I had no problems,using the keyboard I had no problems,however trying to stand the iPad up into the Zaggmate thats where I am having trouble as it wants to slip out,I have yet to have it stand up in the slot with out me holding on to it in case it falls. Maybe its me but I do not trust that little wedge whatever its called that supposed to make it stand up. My feeling right now is I would like to return it,but I'm one of those types that don't give in too soon, so I will keep on trying to get it right.

Al.

UPDATE to my previous post.
After checking out the video on You Tube I found out what I was not doing to the plastic piece that holds the iPad in place,one has to split the hinge and make it into a pyramid and thats what holds the iPad in place.
I can now say that it holds the ipad very securely. Better instruction or one that can be read is in order.;)

Al

imluvinazsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth pairing

I was so excited to receive my new Zaggmate the day before Christmas! I charged the keybaord for several hours, unplugged it and proceeded to pair the keyboard with the ipad. Nothing doing. I sat down with the instructions and tried a dozen times, all to no avail. The ipad does not seem to recognize the bluetooth within the ipad. Bummer!! It seems there are few such issues with the Zaggmate as I can find no one on this thread that has experienced this problem except one person and that keyboard had a loose key. Any advice? Thanks for any advice offered!

Most reactions

Latest posts