What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay-as-you-go carrier for iPad in US

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a iPad 2 with 3G (att), and I am seriously considering adding AT&T services, however I am rather doubtful I can use 2gb in one month (I use it at home with wifi 99% of the time), and I have a hard time opting in for the 250mb plan because of its rather low value (cost per unit of data)

Is there a good pay as you go carrier in the US? I've searched and the best I could find was virgin mobile, but I'm not interested in hauling around a mifi device. It would be nice to be able to pop in a sim, and refill the credit once I run out.

Tip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
Hi all. I just purchased a iPad 2 with 3G (att), and I am seriously considering adding AT&T services, however I am rather doubtful I can use 2gb in one month (I use it at home with wifi 99% of the time), and I have a hard time opting in for the 250mb plan because of its rather low value (cost per unit of data)

Is there a good pay as you go carrier in the US? I've searched and the best I could find was virgin mobile, but I'm not interested in hauling around a mifi device. It would be nice to be able to pop in a sim, and refill the credit once I run out.

Any try with tmobile ?

Ttboy0202

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If I understand your question, you are stuck with att! You bought an att iPad. With out getting into unlocking etc (while you prob can unlock) Tmobile, virgin mobile etc don't have iPad plans. The only option I see and use personally is tether your cell phone and for the limited time your not on wifi you don't have to carry a mifi device!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to unlock an AT&T iPad, because they're sold unlocked.

I read that T-Mobile sold data plans for iPad, but I don't know much about them. Virgin sells a my-fi service, AFAIK.

OP
S

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand your question, you are stuck with att! You bought an att iPad. With out getting into unlocking etc (while you prob can unlock) Tmobile, virgin mobile etc don't have iPad plans. The only option I see and use personally is tether your cell phone and for the limited time your not on wifi you don't have to carry a mifi device!

My iPad isn't locked to ATT. I've already tried another sim and it worked.

KayKayKay said:
You don't have to unlock an AT&T iPad, because they're sold unlocked.

I read that T-Mobile sold data plans for iPad, but I don't know much about them. Virgin sells a my-fi service, AFAIK.

T-Mobile sells plans, but it's like ATT, Pre-Paid for a certain interval. Within the US, I am more likely to be tied to my Wifi Network, however, I would like a 3G subscription service that lets me pay for what I use (not pre-pay for a month, and possibly waste money by not utilizing that subscription).

Outside of the US it's easy.

Thanks for your suggestions!

wxman2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that option does not exist in US right not. You have to either prepay or post pay for a certain amount, not for what you use.

OP
S

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that option does not exist in US right not. You have to either prepay or post pay for a certain amount, not for what you use.

I was afraid of this. Oh well. I guess if I really need it I can activate ATT on the fly, and cancel the account so it doesnt auto renew

Most reactions

Latest posts