What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password Manager

withey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some advice on a good password manager please.

I'm looking for one that will log me in automatically into websites or autofill the username and password fields.

Would ideally like one that works with the bank websites where you have to enter certain letters from your password e.g. the 2nd 5th and 6th letters of your password.

Thanks for your help! :)

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard apps that allow password autofill (only one I can think of off the top of my head is 1password) don't work too well, so you are better off looking for the best password app ignoring the autofill feature. This is especially true for sites like banks where the login takes multiple pages and may require some form of Turing test... no password app can handle those properly.

After reading up on all the password apps my decision came down to either 1password or DataVault. I ended up going with DataVault because DataVault already has a Windows client out and it is reasonably priced ($10). 1password currently only has a Mac client, although they have a Windows client on the way. The Mac client is $40, so I would assume that the Windows client will be similarly priced. Both desktop clients offer wifi sync with conflict resolution.

So far I'm happy with DataVault. I hope in the future that they add support for encrypting documents as part of a record (it is called "data" vault after all) to make it more than just a password/record keeper.

azetetic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Withey,

Have you looked into Strip? It has what you mentioned: URL launch straight from app and detailed entry capabilities. And they just added Strip Sync which is a free companion utility that allows you to sync up your password database with multiple devices.

Check it out [FONT=&quot]http://getstrip.com/c/forum[/FONT]

328iGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure if you have looked into Ascendo DataVault?

I have used there password manager for years and it is fantastic.

they offer auto-fill with their Windows desktop and I imagine they will add it to other versions.

There developers frequent the site and respond to all questions prompty! The customer service is fantastic!!!

I do not work for the company, just love the software. ;)

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The issue with what your asking for is that in order to have an autofill type software for passwords it would either have to be a safari plugin or be running in the background at all times. Neither of witch are allowed on the iphone/iPad. There are password management apps but thats basicly all they do, remember your password for you to look it up.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for one that will log me in automatically into websites or autofill the username and password fields.

Would ideally like one that works with the bank websites where you have to enter certain letters from your password e.g. the 2nd 5th and 6th letters of your password.

Password managers are fine, what you have to think about if you are talking banks, don't have things like passwords on your computer, if its there then you can get hacked one way or another. if you value your bank details and like to keep what you have in the bank, dont leave details on your computer like passwords. I had a guy that got into my laptop sometime back and he got every password going, they were encripted also, he wrote to me with a mass of info about me my banks and email accounts and some other personal stuff, i was amazed over it, he was none molisious, i changed everything. he just said haha see what i can do.
You can do as you wish its up to you. but i never keep bank numbers or passwords on my computer no more. my moan and experiance taken or left.:D

rubyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TapIN - The best password manager for the iPad

Hi,

The best app, IMO, is TapIN. It's easier to use than any of the alternatives and it's really fast. It skips pages that are not required and auto fills in the username and password.
Creating an auto login in TapIN is easy as simply logging into the website and it then remembers exactly how to log in the next time.
It's also safe as it encrypts all the information on the iPad and doesn't send it anywhere else. Using a passcode it provides additional protection from hacking the info.
Here's a link to the free version: http://itunes.apple.com/app/tapin-fast-auto-login-browser/id554782625?mt=8

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Password managers are fine, what you have to think about if you are talking banks, don't have things like passwords on your computer, if its there then you can get hacked one way or another. if you value your bank details and like to keep what you have in the bank, dont leave details on your computer like passwords. I had a guy that got into my laptop sometime back and he got every password going, they were encripted also, he wrote to me with a mass of info about me my banks and email accounts and some other personal stuff, i was amazed over it, he was none molisious, i changed everything. he just said haha see what i can do.
You can do as you wish its up to you. but i never keep bank numbers or passwords on my computer no more. my moan and experiance taken or left.:D
Totally agree. If it's there, they can get to it. I use password managers on both my pc & iPad but always copy and paste. You just have to eliminate as many risks as possible.

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Old thread, but I've got to say that I found RoboForm to be the best bang for the buck and it will sync your logins/passwords between your iPhone, iPad, and windows or mac automatically.

Just my $.02. YMMV

Most reactions

Latest posts