What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passbook????

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes, I've used iPhone and my Android phone for boarding passes, Starbucks checkouts, membership discount scanning at Barnes & Noble.

Passbook has potential, but it will take more robust participation to make it really worthwhile. They've got to iron out how it works before turning off too many users. Already online, there are posts about how frustrating it can be to use.

The problem before was that each program required it's own app. Passbooks purpose is to integrate all that into one app. If they get enough businesses signed on it will do very well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem before was that each program required it's own app. Passbooks purpose is to integrate all that into one app. If they get enough businesses signed on it will do very well.

Exactly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like Passbook is another feature that Apple has pushed out half-baked.

Since I loaded iOS 6 on my touch 4, I loaded various Passbook apps. In two days, I've found that the Fandango app initially failed (went only to a dead black screen); three or four Passbook apps have already had to upgrade; and now I have a hanging duplicate Walgreens Passbook app.

I updated several Passbook apps last night, as prompted. They took a long time to upgrade, so I went to sleep. Now the night has passed and I've found the old Walgreens Passbook app on my touch, along with a duplicate one that's hanging in update mode at least 12 hours later. I'm now going through restart / reset to see whether I can solve the prob.

With Siri (half-baked), iOS 6 maps and now Passbook, Apple is showing me that it's lowering standards of what it will ship to customers.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, restart / reset got rid of the hanging duplicate Walgreens Passbook app.

I've now deleted every Passbook app from my touch, except for the native one, which I've consigned to my "Unused Crap" folder.

Looks like Apple has skipped properly building and testing Passbook before pushing it out.

As with its iOS 6 maps, I'm going to take a pass and wait for other users to do beta testing and product development for Apple. If the feature actually improves and people start raving about it, I'll revisit.

I don't do beta testing and product development, and if I did, I wouldn't do them for free, lol.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm truly hoping passbook does turn out to be worth it. It's one of the new features I'm actually interested in but, for now I think I'll stick with the jailbroken 5.1.1 for a bit longer.

G_Core

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just me or passbook is totally, completely useless on the new iOS ?

OP
fuzzyfelts

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
G_Core said:
Is it just me or passbook is totally, completely useless on the new iOS ?

If you are in the UK like me it appears useless!

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a schlep and it is very unfortunate Apple can't please everybody Goavs

I wasn't displeased I was just asking a question and did a little research and was posting my findings. I don't have cellular service just wifi on my iPad so it wouldn't really work on it anyways.

tomcrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
passbook is not available on the Ipad so who cares how good or bad it is.

Passbook will not come into its own untill Iphone 5s when the NFC chip becomes part of the hardware.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in Passbook when it manages to sign up enough airlines and enough airports use it.

Eventually, Apple might get enough traction to make Passbook useful, but it's far from useful to me now, even in the U.S., because the offerings are still skimpy and they haven't worked out kinks.

For stuff like frequent-buyer cards from various stores like Walgreens, I have a basic method that's worked for awhile:

I take a photo of my membership cards and tuck it in an album on my phone for that purpose. This lets me instantly and easily add any company that can scan from a photo. (For low-tech backup, I have a keychain with all those little cards for retailers, which I keep on one of those cheap, spirally plastic wristlets.)

One appealing thing about my approach: I never register those cards, so businesses can't spam me or resell my data. For Passbook purposes, I would still be very selective about whom I give my info to.

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Passbook is purely US orientated as usual.

No amount of searching helps other countries, as all search results come from US.
I noticed a post from CNET, again it's all US.
Twit.tv, CNET, ZNET, all US based with plenty to say, but no news for UK.
We in UK cannot search in ITunes for Passbook apps, as we all get unable to connect errors.
Very useful app, glad it's included....NOT

Most reactions