What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no PassBook?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes one wonder. The upcoming PassBook electronic tickets sound great, and I can see why in some cases it would be impractical for the iPad. I also have to wonder about the potential for this to go far beyond just tickets. Imagine going to the store and using it like you would a gift card. For example, I cashed in a bunch of credit card bonus dollars for some gift cards. It took over a week to get them in the mail. What if you could get them sent to your device. Or your relative is able to send them directly to your device from the store with just your email or something. Wouldn't we be able to use them on the iPad just as well? Electronic tickets for travel would be just as easy on the iPad. Opinions?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect it's because Passbook is the support for NFC in the new phone...and the iPad will not have an NFC chip.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Apple are great at looking and developing with the future in mind at this point in time now. Trouble is, all your local stores and services where you live, (where i live at least), cant utilise any of Apple's innovations until they catch up with technology in a few years time :(

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might use such features, but on my phone. I'd find it goofy to whip out my tablet -- any brand -- for such transactions, because of size.

I use my phone for variations of these transactions already -- some airlines let you board with a digital boarding pass; you can load money and pay via phone at Starbucks; places like Barnes & Noble have scanned my membership discount coupons from my phone.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree this is more likely to be successful with the iPhone, it would be a mistake to underestimate the ability of an iPad to use this feature. I had thought that I would have no use for cameras in my iPad. Now I use the iPad for many of my photo needs. It is always with me, and it is easy to send pictures to people with iMessage or via email. If Apple does come out with a 7-8" iPad this fall (which I have no real feel for, either way), it may get very interesting.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree this is more likely to be successful with the iPhone, it would be a mistake to underestimate the ability of an iPad to use this feature. I had thought that I would have no use for cameras in my iPad. Now I use the iPad for many of my photo needs. It is always with me, and it is easy to send pictures to people with iMessage or via email. If Apple does come out with a 7-8" iPad this fall (which I have no real feel for, either way), it may get very interesting.

Not estimating anything actually. I was referring to my preferences. But if I had to guess judging by family, friends and co-workers with tablets, none with smart phones would bother schlepping a tablet to perform such functions, either.

The number of people with smart phones in the U.S. has tipped past 50 percent, and that seems likely to keep increasing.

Of course, you see people who still pay for things with checks even at cash registers at the supermarket; there are all kinds of people in the world, lol.

I don't use my iPad cameras for anything but video chatting. I always have my phone, and it takes better photos.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
yes, I was really dissapointed after installing iOS 6 on my iPad after the announcement only for PassBook to be missing.

I understand that the majority of people do not carry their iPads with them everywhere they go. However I am one of the people that have my iPad with me at all times. There is no technical reason for leaving this off of the iPad since all its doing is presenting barcodes on the screen. The iPads larger screen would actually make is easier to read the barcodes. I'm sure they have plans of including NFC functionality into the app for making purchases in stores with the new iPhone having NFC hardware, yet the app does do a lot without NFC.

This is just like google and their Google Wallet app. The galaxy S III is available on all of the major cell carriers get the Google wallet app is only available for people on Sprint. The app does not require any carrier interaction, purchases made via the google wallet are all made via Google and your credit cards. Google could very well just allow anyone on any NFC enable phone use the google wallet yet they don't. If you are with a carrier other than sprint you must download a hacked version of the app that does not check what carrier you have.

I've gone a little off topic here but I just don't understand why some things like this are done.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I carry both my iPhone and iPad. I prefer using my iPad because it is easier to see and to type on. So I would definitely use my iPad. Of course I'm really old (74) so maybe it's a moot point for Apple and anyone else.
Bobbi

Most reactions

Latest posts