What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating?

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overheating

I find it interesting that some said what's the point is we are on our 3rd unit.

Here's the point, I am now working directly with an engineer in Cup. Apple is taking this very serious they see these low ambient temp faiures a major issue, they are currently seeing each failed overheating unit. They have also finally released an internal bulletin on the issue.

Their words not mine.... "since the unit cannot be used outside in CA and TX we have an issue". They currently feel they that it can be addressed with a software update not a hardware rev... They are also testing a UV Filter screen cover.

So keep the reports coming. Call Apple each time it occurs. They even go to the point to acknowledge that the 3G will bring to issue to the forefront since it generates more heat.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have one of my 64's in the sun tomorrow (same tennis lesson's) -

Where is the sensor (Square above the charger pins?)

Wondering if just covering the sensor by hand will work or if blue tape would be a better option.
Yeah, something like that or duct tape. Two layered thickness at least. I don't have an iPad yet so the position of the sensor eludes me. Maybe on Apple's technical page...

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sensor is at the top of the iPad in landscape position with the home button being at the bottom. The sensor is top dead center, many OEM iPad cases are not including this sensor in their designs and end up covering them, causing screens to remain always bright or always dim. Thus reducing battery life and or over heat issues if you happen to have this issue.

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it interesting that some said what's the point is we are on our 3rd unit.

Here's the point, I am now working directly with an engineer in Cup. Apple is taking this very serious they see these low ambient temp faiures a major issue, they are currently seeing each failed overheating unit. They have also finally released an internal bulletin on the issue.

Their words not mine.... "since the unit cannot be used outside in CA and TX we have an issue". They currently feel they that it can be addressed with a software update not a hardware rev... They are also testing a UV Filter screen cover.

So keep the reports coming. Call Apple each time it occurs. They even go to the point to acknowledge that the 3G will bring to issue to the forefront since it generates more heat.

Interesting. I took your advice and called apple right away to let them the conditions in which my 3G overheated. The guy freaked out and insisted I go immediately to the apple store to have it looked at. Which is cool and all, but I really don't want a new one and I don't really have any desire to drive way down to my nearest apple store

I am fairly sure this is just an inherent issue with the thermal dissipation/absorption of glass. So I understand there will be limitations of using such a large piece of glass outdoors.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced the overheating problem yesterday. I was at a bike-a-thon from 9:00 - 12:00. At approximatively 11:15, after using the iPad continually from 9:00 I received the overheating warning. I was in direct sunlight from about 10:00 or so. Temperature was about 75 - 78

I tried shading the iPad but couldn't. Then I took a damp wash cloth and placed it on the bottom of the iPad and this seemed to cool it down enough so that I could use it.

topaztunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow up with new info

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, a year later.

I am having this problem with an ipad (original) I bought in September. It has been fine in the sun (including hot weather overseas) until a couple of months ago. A swap out didn't help, but I am going to try this again at least once more.

The reason Apple panics when this is reported is that it has caused fire. I don't know the frequency, but I have it on good authority that this has occurred.

Apple has jerked me around and around. They won't fess up to this being a real problem (though they are more than willing to swap) - they have seriously told me that this rarely happens (despite the fact that all of us can re-create it) and one "genious" told me that I may just have to change my expectations. This thing has died in temps ranging from 68-74 degrees. Ummm...I expect my book reader to work as a book reader. I bring my books outside with me and read them there. Not to mention that their own commercials feature beach reading scenes.

Has anyone heard of a fix plan for this?

Thanks!

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, a year later.

Has anyone heard of a fix plan for this?

Thanks!

Well here is what I know to be true... Apple has not addressed the issue. I was able to improve the tolerance by placing some 3M clear solar window tint on my unit which makes it more tolerant to temp. This gave me a 10% improvement.

The iPad 2 has the SAME temperature tolerance spec's as well as Xoom and the Galaxy Tab. It seems to just be a function of the glass which absorbs heat.

Sorry, wish I had a real solution.

tkl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easrthdog said:
Well here is what I know to be true... Apple has not addressed the issue. I was able to improve the tolerance by placing some 3M clear solar window tint on my unit which makes it more tolerant to temp. This gave me a 10% improvement.

The iPad 2 has the SAME temperature tolerance spec's as well as Xoom and the Galaxy Tab. It seems to just be a function of the glass which absorbs heat.

Where did you get the 3M clear solar window?

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easrthdog said:

Where did you get the 3M clear solar window?

At my local Car Window Tint shop.

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry i didn't read the whole thread but i wanted to add that when i'm charing my iPad and using it to play games or watch videos, i can feel the back (only in certain areas) getting kind of warm. is this because it is charging and the batteries are getting warm or is it because of some other reason?? Should you not uses you iPad while charging? Why does this occur?

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this up again but, when using my iPad2 for an hour or so, the back gets warm but not as hot as say some laptops I have used in the past.

Can anyone confirm if the back should remain cool and never even warm after long periods of use?

I dont want to go back to the shop unless I have to....

Most reactions

Latest posts