What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Na... No Worries Mate! not a problem if it gets too hot down here we will just wrap the iPad in a few cans of ice cold Fosters or maybe design a portable Esky (cool box for Americans)just for the iPad to keep it cool :D:D

They sell Fosters in the states too, so I guess that solution will work for us this summer.

auspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Na... No Worries Mate! not a problem if it gets too hot down here we will just wrap the ipad in a few cans of ice cold Fosters or maybe design a portable Esky (cool box for americans)just for the ipad to keep it cool :D:D

did you know that there 5000 aussies reading this thread?

also il just use my homemade aircon system..... or jst go sit in the beer fridge at the booz shop with it

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have. I have a 64gb. I can replicate it very easily, Go outside in the direct sunlight, on your deck or at the pool and use it when its 75 degrees plus. I won't take too long. This is unusable by the pool compared to my sad Sony eReader... It sucks.

YES,,, You are appositely correct. It was a very nice day today,, about 78 degrees this afternoon. I took my iPad along with me for lunch today, sat outside, fired up my MiFi and within 15 minutes, bingo my iPad overheats.. I shut it down for a few minutes, turne it back up while still outside and bingo, oerheats again. I get back to the office everything fine. The sun hits my west window in late afternoon. I sat the iPad on a table in the sun light and bingo.. overheat... Yes something is wrong here.. I bet if any of you try this outside you will see these problems.... I bet money on it.. try it...

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have. I have a 64gb. I can replicate it very easily, Go outside in the direct sunlight, on your deck or at the pool and use it when its 75 degrees plus. I won't take too long. This is unusable by the pool compared to my sad Sony eReader... It sucks.

YES,,, You are appositely correct. It was a very nice day today,, about 78 degrees this afternoon. I took my iPad along with me for lunch today, sat outside, fired up my MiFi and within 15 minutes, bingo my iPad overheats.. I shut it down for a few minutes, turne it back up while still outside and bingo, oerheats again. I get back to the office everything fine. The sun hits my west window in late afternoon. I sat the iPad on a table in the sun light and bingo.. overheat... Yes something is wrong here.. I bet if any of you try this outside you will see these problems.... I bet money on it.. try it...

My first question would be what kind of case (if any) you had on your iPad.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

YES,,, You are appositely correct. It was a very nice day today,, about 78 degrees this afternoon. I took my iPad along with me for lunch today, sat outside, fired up my MiFi and within 15 minutes, bingo my iPad overheats.. I shut it down for a few minutes, turne it back up while still outside and bingo, oerheats again. I get back to the office everything fine. The sun hits my west window in late afternoon. I sat the iPad on a table in the sun light and bingo..... Yes something is wrong here.. I bet if any of you try this outside you will see these problems.... I bet money on it.. try it.

My first question would be what kind of case (if any) you had on your
iPad.
t

Im using the Apple binder case. The first time it happened, I removed the case to feel how hot it was and the iPad did not feel even slightly warm. So I don't know if it is a heat issue or a direct sunlight issue hitting or reflecting the screen. I'm almost inclined to say that the screen design may be reflecting in such a way it's acts as a magnifying glass and return causing the heat shutdown....I'm almost sure this is happening

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this can be an issue but I've read somewhere(don't remember where) in a tech sheet that the iPad asides from the accelerometer has a light sensor. Since most overheating alarms are in relation with a direct sushine situation, can that sensor be responsible? Or the software routine control?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this can be an issue but I've read somewhere(don't remember where) in a tech sheet that the iPad asides from the accelerometer has a light sensor. Since most overheating alarms are in relation with a direct sushine situation, can that sensor be responsible? Or the software routine control?

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think the problem is due to heat but something what you suggest and hopefully the later. Then that should be able to be corrected with a new software flash. If it is a sensor issue I wonder if Apple will recall to correct. I plan on doing some more testing in direct sunlight today, provided we get some today, rain in the forecast. It would be interesting to see what other members experience using their iPads in direct sunlight. It's a simple test, just get your iPad out in direct sunlight for about fifteen minutes. Folks, if younhave time today please try this and report your experience. Hopefuly these are just isolated proplems.

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overheating

I exchanged mine yesterday at the store per apple support. At the G. Bar they hooked my iPad up to a MAC and a diagnostic software it had 14 overheating events over the last week. The iPad temperatures ranged from 120-145 degrees. Which is pretty scary since the outside temp was 75-78. They have replaced the unit and I will test mine today at lunch since it will be 81 and sunny.

I also have the Apple case but have experienced the issue with and without the case.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I exchanged mine yesterday at the store per apple support. At the G. Bar they hooked my iPad up to a MAC and a diagnostic software it had 14 overheating events over the last week. The iPad temperatures ranged from 120-145 degrees. Which is pretty scary since the outside temp was 75-78. They have replaced the unit and I will test mine today at lunch since it will be 81 and sunny.

I also have the Apple case but have experienced the issue with and without the case.

Yeah that sounds like a defective unit. No big deal they are great about replacements. My first iPod touch had a problem where the home button would not work half the time, the other half of the time it would double tap when I clicked it, the swapped it out for a new one.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

just curious, did you notice your unit feeling warm or hot to the touch whenever it overheated? Is it an internal temp not radiating out?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got the Apple tech people at Apple Cafe to check out the overheating problem on my iPad. She was getting ready to do a replacement and I asked her if there was any way to replace mine (current WiFi model) with a 3G and I pay the difference. She said no problem if I could wait until May 1, 2010. I said yea, no problem - is that when the 3G's are available? She said unofficially yes, and one would be reserved for me to exchange only. I hope this one holds up until then.....

They claim the heat problems are veer isolated and mine was the first one they saw with this problem..... I,m kind of wondering about that?????

Last edited:

nursedina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got the Apple tech people at Apple Cafe to check out the overheating problem on my iPad. She was getting ready to do a replacement and I asked her if there was any way to replace mine (current WiFi model) with a 3G and I pay the difference. She said no problem if I could wait until May 1, 2010. I said yea, no problem - is that when the 3G's are available? She said unofficially yes, and one would be reserved for me to exchange only. I hope this one holds up until then.....

They claim the heat problems are veer isolated and mine was the first one they saw with this problem..... I,m kind of wondering about that?????

May 1st? Nooooooooo.....I dont wanna wait no more.

Most reactions

Latest posts