What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over Clocking

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I'm going to test it out and see how much of a power hit it takes. Looks like it may be a better idea to manually edit the file rather than just renaming it. By editing the file you can make sure the processor stays at full speed but still keep all the rest of the files power saving settings like screen brightness.

I wish I had a second iPad to do side by side testing.

also note that this really isn't over clocking the CPU. The settings file just tells the iPad that when it is on battery power to reduce the processor a little to save on battery life. Removing the file or editing it tells the ipad to work at full power, the same as it would if it was plugged into the AC wall charger.

What to alter int the file if you want to edit:
Drill down into the the SystemProfileDefaults key
You will find 5 key dictionaries. For each one you want to check under both of the "Battery Power" and "UPS Power" keys.
Make sure the "Dynamic Power Step" is set to 1
Make sure the "Reduce Processor Speed" is set to 0

Remember to always make a backup before changing anything

Last edited:

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before testing this, there needs to be an app we can use to actually tell us the clock of the processor on the iPad. Otherwise, its the blind leading the blind.

So, is there a functional app that reports the processor speed?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before testing this, there needs to be an app we can use to actually tell us the clock of the processor on the iPad. Otherwise, its the blind leading the blind.

That's exactly what I was thinking...how do you know it does anything without a benchmark.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Its not an "overclock" like the title of this thread suggests.

What you are doing is changing the power settings so that it doesnt choke back the processor speed when running on battery to increase battery life. The speed would be the same as when you use the ipad while plugged in and charging. Not really any noticeable difference.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand, but I would still like to be able to see how much it underclocks the CPU for battery savings to determine if a hack like this is worth it for the inevitable loss in battery life. Seeing as how I have had no slowdowns on any application thus far, its not worth it at this point, but who knows.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I understand, but I would still like to be able to see how much it underclocks the CPU for battery savings to determine if a hack like this is worth it for the inevitable loss in battery life. Seeing as how I have had no slowdowns on any application thus far, its not worth it at this point, but who knows.

there is an app in the apple app store called BenchTest.
Here are the results of the before and after:

4792289411_cb4504164a.jpg

4792289369_f5dff14a72.jpg

Not much difference.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for testing this Mike.
One less thing to fiddle with :)

The current model works fine so I'll not bother trying to improve it.
Just buy the next version as soon as it's released.

stevebostedor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadshow.com
Mike, did you actually edit the file or did you just do plug in for one and unplug for the other?

The title of this thread is very misleading. It's no different than modifying the power settings on your laptop. My iPad is fast enough for anything that I throw at it right now. No need to kill my battery life for an extra unnoticeable trickle in CPU availability.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Mike, did you actually edit the file or did you just do plug in for one and unplug for the other?

The title of this thread is very misleading. It's no different than modifying the power settings on your laptop. My iPad is fast enough for anything that I throw at it right now. No need to kill my battery life for an extra unnoticeable trickle in CPU availability.

had the original power config file and ran the bench mark.

replaced the power config file with my edited one. Rebooted and ran bench mark.

Saw very minimal increase, as you say its just like changing the power settings on you laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts