What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optimizing coverage with my "wimpie" WiFi version

Newenglandguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Internet on my Verizon phone and was wondering if there are any creative ways to connect up? I have heard you can set up a Droid as a WiFi hotspot, but was wondering what other options there are.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a moto droid? If so you can root and install WiFi tether and get a free wifi spot out of it. That's what I do.

OP
N

Newenglandguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt - don't have the Droid. Just curious - what type of data plan do you have? I'm hoping someone has some solution out there, as I know a few friends that have Droids, and they are having issues with voice quality for outgoing calls. I've talked to both of them, and have trouble understanding the "garbled" reception - and I've talked to them while they've tried other phones in the same area - and no issues.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt - don't have the Droid. Just curious - what type of data plan do you have? I'm hoping someone has some solution out there, as I know a few friends that have Droids, and they are having issues with voice quality for outgoing calls. I've talked to both of them, and have trouble understanding the "garbled" reception - and I've talked to them while they've tried other phones in the same area - and no issues.

What model phone do you have?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have a blog for Droids....

Go into settings > call settings > and uncheck Voice Privacy. Biggest cause of jacked up calls.

If that doesn't solve it, dial *228 and hit option 2 to update your phone to the newest towers.

As for me, I have the unlimited data plan.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
As a retired guy, I wasn't sure I would justify 3G-saving my pennies for a more powerful desktop [faster video and photo editing etc.], so I am wondering just how common is WiFi? I guess I will be able to tell when I get my iPad [1 Jul]. I don't expect to use it much, but it might make a nice backup.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have my phone with me at all times, so WiFi is as common as...well...air. :)

But if you don't have your phone set up to provide WiFi then it's still pretty common. They had WiFi where I got my wife's oil changed Sunday. Usually fast food/coffee shops have WiFi, my house has WiFi, etc.

T

TJK

As a retired guy, I wasn't sure I would justify 3G-saving my pennies for a more powerful desktop [faster video and photo editing etc.], so I am wondering just how common is WiFi? I guess I will be able to tell when I get my iPad [1 Jul]. I don't expect to use it much, but it might make a nice backup.

WiFi is pretty ubiquitous at this point and getting better. Borders, Panera, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, McDonalds...........
There are also apps and websites to help you find free WiFi. You may want to hit some websites and find your local WiFi hotspots.

I also opted not to get the 3G. My wife and I both have iPads and laptops so I got the Verizon Overdrive 3G/4G modem that allows me to connect up to 5 devices via WiFi. This was more economical for us than a bunch of device-specific data plans.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also get those little keychains that alert you if there is an open WiFi spot nearby. I might get one for when I go to Europe next month since I won't be able to use my phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts