What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just want to ask are there advantages to the various JB methods? Is it an ease of use thing? I do know some methods are quicker. And would it be advisable to do a backup then reset my whole device from a fresh start then JB and restore my purchased apps from iTunes?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to ask are there advantages to the various JB methods? Is it an ease of use thing? I do know some methods are quicker. And would it be advisable to do a backup then reset my whole device from a fresh start then JB and restore my purchased apps from iTunes?

It really does depend on the jail break tool. From what I'm reading, the new Absinthe tool (2.0) will work best, and fastest, on an iPad with little to no data on it. A lot of people end up doing the "backup - restore from new - jail break - restore from backup" process to make life easier. Of course, YMMV.

Redsn0w generally works without having to worry about what is on the iPad already. So, that may be the easier tool to use.

It really does come down to choice. Or, to which one gets released first and how impatient you are in waiting for the other tool to be released. Of course, as these are new tools, everything I have typed may be pure conjecture and the tools will work entirely differently than they have in the past.

My theory is that I will jail break my iPad with whichever tool is first released that is compatible with my computer. Yes, I am that impatient. :) But, since a jail break is a jail break, regardless of which tool got it that way - it doesn't really matter. Again and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go with either Absinthe or Redsn0w they both practically hold your hand through the whole process. I like absinthe a little better because it will actually give a short explanation of what it's doing kind of like a "For Dummies" book. Either way you choose it's rather hard to screw it up as long as you follow the instructions carefully. If not and you need to troubleshoot, well, that's what you have the forum for.

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Or, to which one gets released first and how impatient you are in waiting for the other tool to be released.

Marilyn

My impatient self will probably do the same

askb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some private ipa's built for 5.0.1 by my friend. This is for my folks. I was wondering if the same would work on 5.1.1 after the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some private ipa's built for 5.0.1 by my friend. This is for my folks. I was wondering if the same would work on 5.1.1 after the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

This will be something that you will have to take up with your friend, the developer. Only the developer can tell you if a certain app is or is not compatible with a particular iOS...

Marilyn

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i0n1c is posting info for a paid 5.1.1 jailbreak beware its only for A4 devices he don't mention that but if you dig deep and find the actual exploit developers twitter he says himself it's A4 only.

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i0n1c is posting info for a paid 5.1.1 jailbreak beware its only for A4 devices he don't mention that but if you dig deep and find the actual exploit developers twitter he says himself it's A4 only.

And it was $995. Wow.

Swiped with HTC Trace on Desire S using Endymion 3.5 with HTC Sense 3.5
Sense 4 will be visible when Kernel 3 comes out.
I also have an iPad 2 iOS5.1, waiting pod2g to release jailbreak.
Looks like I'll be waiting in my whole life.
I miss Cydia.

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do we know for sure its coming today??

All the signs indicate that it's coming, but you'll never know. I backed up yesterday both my iPad2 and iPhone 4S to itunes, made backup of my Cydia tweaks and even took screenshots on every screen on both devices (to remember what did I have in what folder, lol). So I'm waiting, haven't yet updated but I'm ready to go. Hope it comes out today.

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope so. I've been too long without a jailbreak afterI had to restore due to the iPad playing up badly. Fingers crossed and waiting!!

Skedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roll on 1.30 pm gmt then I can jb my iPad first ever jb device

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absinthe 2.0 is out at Greenp0ison!

edit: Downloaded it, now updating both ipad2 & iphone 4s to 5.1.1, feels like Christmas indeed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions