What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YTREWQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if it is JB related, but 500 books were suddenly deleted from iBooks last night.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This jB is kinda funny..sometimes it loads the theme thru winterboard and keeping that theme for more hours makes it act wied..like graphical glitches and crashes sometimes too..also bigify has some problems...they need to update this!

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
This jB is kinda funny..sometimes it loads the theme thru winterboard and keeping that theme for more hours makes it act wied..like graphical glitches and crashes sometimes too..also bigify has some problems...they need to update this!

UPDATE - Apologies, Bigify is IOS5 compatible and I have been running it for a couple of hours without issues.

Winterboard is also working perfectly well for me, and has been for some time. I see no evidence of glitches appearing at all...

Last edited:

boyo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on 5.0 do i need to update to 5.0.1 before jb?

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
UPDATE - Apologies, Bigify is IOS5 compatible and I have been running it for a couple of hours without issues.

Winterboard is also working perfectly well for me, and has been for some time. I see no evidence of glitches appearing at all...

Maybe something to do with some tweak? I guess many tweaks makes it go haywaire..

Tr33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys so yesterday I JB my 4s and today I did the same for my iPad2 Cydia is up and running,I wanted to install WinterBoard but it says it needs more sources and it cannot locate pkg??? I had NP installing it on my 4s so I'm a bit confused!?!? what should I do?

thanks

Tr33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol ok so it seems all it needed was a reboot..........

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was fine yesterday and today I decided to do a reboot which caused my iPad 2 to start acting up. I figured it was a Cydia tweak I installed that is not compatible with iOS5. If you are having issues with your device acting up hopefully you have SBSettings installed, go into safe mode (in SBSettings hit the power option and then select safe mode), then launch Cydia and compare the list of installed tweaks to this list: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html Some of the tweak I had weren't on the list so I had to look at their detailed page to see if it listed which iOS it works on. The two offending tweaks I had were MakeItMine and NoFolderBadge. Once I removed these and rebooted all was back to normal.

IPADfreak90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
makeitmine seems to be working quite well for me! but when ever i install a new app i get 5 white icons which dissapear only when i respring(some times twice) also i tried iwipecache but that did not work for me.

Cybershaolin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, great forum here. I just discovered your site!

Please let me know about the steps as I’m at on my first Jailbreak here. I have an iPad 2 64GB Wifi only. Many apps installed, 15GB of music and 4 GB of pictures, some videos. I made a backup in Itunes.

1- I find the the tutorial here http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-5-0-1-absinthe.html very clear but it’s just about some poster's comments that I’m afraid a little bit. Many people say to restore to factory settings before starting, then jailbreak and then restore from backup. When you say at first: Restore to factory settings, do you mean the “Restore” button in iTunes or by doing a reset on the iPad itself? If it's in iTunes, wen you click on your device at left, then you see the resume of your iPad info at right with different sections as: iPad, Version, etc. So, under “Version” you have “Look for updates” and then “Restore”. Is that the “Restore” you are talking about?

2- Also, by doing that “Restore” will it go back to ios 4.x (was like that when I bought my iPad but I don't remember which ios version it was exactly, I just remember it was previous to ios 5) meaning I will have to update to 5.0.1 after, before jailbreaking? I'm also asking because my Internet connection is kind of very slow here. Is there another way for an alternative download method or is there another way to go? Should I try do jailbreak without restoring to factory settings in iTunes and just try to reset things on the iPad itself?

3- By doing the “Restore”, will I lose all my music, pictures, apps, etc? Will they be back after jailbreaking and restoring my iPad from backup at the end? I’m asking because they are talking about the fact that the restore from backup only brings back the calendar, contacts, mail, notes, etc. Does it mean that it’s not really the restore from backup that brings back all my stuff (music, apps, pictures) but when I will sync?

I don’t know if you can understand what I’m asking here (English is not my mother language).

Thanks for your time.

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cybershaolin said:
1- I find the the tutorial here http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/61650-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-5-0-1-absinthe.html very clear but it’s just about some poster's comments that I’m afraid a little bit. Many people say to restore to factory settings before starting, then jailbreak and then restore from backup. When you say at first: Restore to factory settings, do you mean the “Restore” button in iTunes or by doing a reset on the iPad itself? If it's in iTunes, wen you click on your device at left, then you see the resume of your iPad info at right with different sections as: iPad, Version, etc. So, under “Version” you have “Look for updates” and then “Restore”. Is that the “Restore” you are talking about?
Yes, that restore. Download the 5.0.1 iPad Wifi only firmware, turn your iPad in DFU mode and restore your iPad.
Make sure you choose for a "clean" iPad and do not restore a backup before you have jailbroken your iPad.

Cybershaolin said:
2- Also, by doing that “Restore” will it go back to ios 4.x (was like that when I bought my iPad but I don't remember which ios version it was exactly, I just remember it was previous to ios 5) meaning I will have to update to 5.0.1 after, before jailbreaking? I'm also asking because my Internet connection is kind of very slow here. Is there another way for an alternative download method or is there another way to go? Should I try do jailbreak without restoring to factory settings in iTunes and just try to reset things on the iPad itself?
Your iPad will stay on 5.0.1, since you restore to 5.0.1.
The only thing you need to download is the 5.0.1 firmware ( and of course Absinthe! ;) ) it could take a while, but it's all you need.
Not sure what you meant with the last question... But jailbreak without restoring to 5.0.1 will likely give you an error.

Cybershaolin said:
3- By doing the “Restore”, will I lose all my music, pictures, apps, etc? Will they be back after jailbreaking and restoring my iPad from backup at the end? I’m asking because they are talking about the fact that the restore from backup only brings back the calendar, contacts, mail, notes, etc. Does it mean that it’s not really the restore from backup that brings back all my stuff (music, apps, pictures) but when I will sync?
You make a backup in iTunes first. After you restored to 5.0.1 and jailbreak your iPad you will need to restore from a backup.
All music, photos and videos and settings will be there again. But you will need to download all the apps again.

Cybershaolin said:
I don’t know if you can understand what I’m asking here (English is not my mother language).
It's neither mine. I hope I read and understood your post right. :p

Cybershaolin said:
Thanks for your time.
NP! :)

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Yes, you simply just click the restore button in iTunes (the one you mentioned under "version")
2. It will restore your device with the most recent iOS which at this time is 5.0.1. It's best to get it straight from apple because if you get it from another source I believe you have to hold down the shift button and right click on your ipad listed in the left hand pane, then select restore and then I think you have to point it to the ipsw... not positive as I've never done it. You can download the firmware from this link which is on this forum: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html make sure you download the correct one, it is broken up into iPad 1, iPad 2 sections as well as Wifi only, 3G and CDMA.
3.I believe after you do the restore and jailbreak you can then sync your iPad to one of your backups but I'm not 100% positive as I have never done this. I would wait until someone else chimes in on this point.

Before you do anything though, make sure you sync your ipad with iTunes so you get an up to date back up.

spacerolling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I am having a problem with this latest Jailbreak from Greenpoison Absinthe. Ok first of all, I have an Ipad 2 with ios 5.0.1, I have password lock off . So whenever I try to accomplish this jailbreak I get "absinthe.exe has stopped working". So I disconnect and try all over again, it recognizes that I tried and tries to correct the problem. I also have tried going to settings and turning on VPN as some people have stated and still nothing. What I noticed though is that in my settings next to VPN I have Jailbreak written in this area in my settings and it just remains there. I clicked next to it and then it says either on or off. Im not sure what to do about any of this. Oh, also I am on windows XP as well. Thank you all.

rickrvo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
spacerolling said:
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I am having a problem with this latest Jailbreak from Greenpoison Absinthe. Ok first of all, I have an Ipad 2 with ios 5.0.1, I have password lock off . So whenever I try to accomplish this jailbreak I get "absinthe.exe has stopped working". So I disconnect and try all over again, it recognizes that I tried and tries to correct the problem. I also have tried going to settings and turning on VPN as some people have stated and still nothing. What I noticed though is that in my settings next to VPN I have Jailbreak written in this area in my settings and it just remains there. I clicked next to it and then it says either on or off. Im not sure what to do about any of this. Oh, also I am on windows XP as well. Thank you all.

I was getting crashes on the absinnthe tool too. What I did was reset the ipad from itunes, then it installed the jailbreak like a charm! Once everything is good, just restore your apps from the backup... Only pain was making the music selection again (since I can't have music synced since it fills up all the ipad)

Hope that helps anyone whose absinthe tool crashes. It worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts